·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The patient in need of an upgrade:

Planned components:
PAC Audio integration module with harness AP4-FD21
Front doors- Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia X6-C mid-bass
Center Dash Channel- Stock (vehicle chimes only)
Tweeters- Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia X1
Midrange- Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia X3PP
Rear speakers- None
Sub- JL Audio 13TW5v2-D4
Amps (2)- ARC XDi 1200.6
DSP- JL Audio TWK-88
Head Unit- Stock

Front doors have 5X7-6X8 in lower doors and tweeters in the top right corners as shown.

Rear door panels are a terrible design. Only tweeters in the upper portion.

They then stuck the rear mid in the pillars behind the rear seat. Look behind the seatbelt. Here you can also see the terrible factory Sony sub.

According to everything i have found without taking the rear pillar covers off is the largest speaker made for the cutout is 5.25" speakers. The placement is terrible.

So the question is am I better off just letting the rear factory mids stay where they are and not playing? Replace them? Or come up with a viable option for the rear doors for mids?

Also of not, my sub will be in a custom enclosure forward facing behind the seat. I don't want to give up my under seat storage.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
My F-150 is similar and I have the C5 6x8 midbass drivers in mine. Ditch the rear speakers, not worth it especially in a pickup like this. If you can go with a three way vs two way it will sound much better. My C5 were ok when I had run them as a two way with AF GB10 tweeters but adding a mid range was a huge upgrade. A slim design shallow subwoofer such as the JL TW3 or similar might work out great in the back of that truck. I used a Sundown SD3-10 in an angled custom ported box in the back of my regular cab and love it with just 550 watts.

Reactions: miniSQ

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My F-150 is similar and I have the C5 6x8 midbass drivers in mine. Ditch the rear speakers, not worth it especially in a pickup like this. If you can go with a three way vs two way it will sound much better. My C5 were ok when I had run them as a two way with AF GB10 tweeters but adding a mid range was a huge upgrade. A slim design shallow subwoofer such as the JL TW3 or similar might work out great in the back of that truck. I used a Sundown SD3-10 in an angled custom ported box in the back of my regular cab and love it with just 550 watts.
Yeah, I plan on using the 12TW3-D8 single sub behind the seat. What and where did you install the small mid up front in yours?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
My truck is a company truck so I did the least invasive install that I could so I could restore it to factory original in a few hours. I installed Audiofrog GB25 in place of the two round outer HVAC outlets which sonically works really welll and I still have the inner HVAC outlets that work fine. I could have cut the door panels on mine and installed them in the sail panel if I wanted to. I think some GS40 or GB40 would work well infinite baffle in your door above the 6x8 or some GS25/GB25 or similar in the sail panel area with some fiberglass work there. That would make for a killer
IMG_0542.jpg
sounding system with a good tuner.

Reactions: Eatmore Bacon

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My truck is a company truck so I did the least invasive install that I could so I could restore it to factory original in a few hours. I installed Audiofrog GB25 in place of the two round outer HVAC outlets which sonically works really welll and I still have the inner HVAC outlets that work fine. I could have cut the door panels on mine and installed them in the sail panel if I wanted to. I think some GS40 or GB40 would work well infinite baffle in your door above the 6x8 or some GS25/GB25 or similar in the sail panel area with some fiberglass work there. That would make for a killer View attachment 286998 sounding system with a good tuner.
The thing about the 40 placement is that area butts up to the dash end cap when the door is closed with only a 1/2" gap. I was thinking of possibly having someone build a place in the front window pillars?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
The thing about the 40 placement is that area butts up to the dash end cap when the door is closed with only a 1/2" gap. I was thinking of possibly having someone build a place in the front window pillars?
That is a popular option for placement amoung the crowd. If you can get some listening time with a reputable shop or some members at a meet with similar installations then you could make a better informed decision. Custom pillars will cost you $$$$ but like anything else worth having that goes with the territory. If you want a deeper stage then place the midrange and tweeters further away in front of you, maybe those A pillars will be right for that. If you want a wider stage then maybe those sail panels would be better for you. Ultimately the shop you chose and the experience of the person doing the tuning will make or break your system. If you were in the Worcester MA area then I wouldn’t mind letting you take a listen to my truck with a wide stage. My CX5 has more of a deep stage. Both have three way setups. There will be a meet in this are too come spring time.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a popular option for placement amoung the crowd. If you can get some listening time with a reputable shop or some members at a meet with similar installations then you could make a better informed decision. Custom pillars will cost you $$$$ but like anything else worth having that goes with the territory. If you want a deeper stage then place the midrange and tweeters further away in front of you, maybe those A pillars will be right for that. If you want a wider stage then maybe those sail panels would be better for you. Ultimately the shop you chose and the experience of the person doing the tuning will make or break your system. If you were in the Worcester MA area then I wouldn’t mind letting you take a listen to my truck with a wide stage. My CX5 has more of a deep stage. Both have three way setups. There will be a meet in this are too come spring time.
AHHH. Yeah, I lived in Everette, MA. for 3 years. I am in Alabama. I enjoyed everything up there with exception of the winters! Thanks a ton for the offer and advice. I guess its time to seek my local audio craftsmen for that phase

·
Registered
2,515 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
It looks like Crutchfield makes adapters for the F150 that will allow you to use either 6x9, 6 1/2" or 6 3/4" speakers in the front doors. That should increase your options a bit. Like the C5-653 if you're interested in JL's three way set.

I have used and like Audiofrog's products and heard alot of good things about the GB25.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet the weather there now is nice. It sucks here in New England now.

Check out Steve Cook from Audio X About Our Store They are located in Alabama.

Yeah, I have heard of him and his quality work. In thinking about this a bit more I believe I'm going to try a C7 3.5" to replace my center channel dash speaker and see how that sounds before getting too crazy. The TWK-88 has a mixer that you can set up as a mono channel. That may be a simple solution. I just purchased a ARC Xdi 1200.6 from an inmate here so all I lack is my sub and enclosure. Thanks for the great advice. Its what makes this site great.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It looks like Crutchfield makes adapters for the F150 that will allow you to use either 6x9, 6 1/2" or 6 3/4" speakers in the front doors. That should increase your options a bit. Like the C5-653 if you're interested in JL's three way set.

I have used and like Audiofrog's products and heard alot of good things about the GB25.
I am taking door panels off tomorrow to take some measurements. I would like to go to 6.5" if possible. I think it will come down to how close the existing speakers are to the door panel in order for an adapter ring to work. I have looked at Morel, JL, Audio Frog, and Focal. They all have sets I am interested in. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Read on Facebook Steve Cook’s shop, Audio X burned down last night. I don’t have any details.

·
Registered
825 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Following this as I am also doing similar upgrades in my 2104 F250 CC. I have ordered the SuperCrewSound box for the 12TW3-D4 that I have. I also am considering going with a 3 way up front, but might just stick with 2 way for ease. I am looking at DSPs right now.

If you are interested in the 12TW3-D4, I have a 2nd one that I plan on putting in the classifieds shortly.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Following this as I am also doing similar upgrades in my 2104 F250 CC. I have ordered the SuperCrewSound box for the 12TW3-D4 that I have. I also am considering going with a 3 way up front, but might just stick with 2 way for ease. I am looking at DSPs right now.

If you are interested in the 12TW3-D4, I have a 2nd one that I plan on putting in the classifieds shortly.
Glad to have you along, Mike. I sure do appreciate the heads up and offer on the 12TW3. Shoot me a PM with the asking price. I was holding out for an 8 ohm because they are dual voice coil that I can wire for 4 ohm but if the price is right I am certainly interested.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

You going with a 5X7 in the front door or going to retrofit a 6.5"? Thats what I am debating right now. Also, if you get the TWK-88 DSP it has a mixer where you can use the existing center dash channel. Just FYI.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
You going with a 5X7 in the front door or going to retrofit a 6.5"? Thats what I am debating right now. Also, if you get the TWK-88 DSP it has a mixer where you can use the existing center dash channel. Just FYI.
Just so you are aware a 5x7 has slightly more cone area than a 6.5 and practically drops right in with gasket tape. If you go three way and you can fit it a 6x9 would have similar cone area to an 8” and be ideal for midbass. I personally like my JL C5 5x7 midbass drivers in my truck and have no desire to change them and I have Audiofrog GB60 to compare them to which cost more than twice the price.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts