DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK right now I have a set of Elemental Designs eDi 6500 mids and crossovers. I'm looking for a replacement tweeter. I've read lots of good stuff about the LPG 25NFA, and the price is right in my budget. All of this has to be powered by an ED NINe.2 (100x2 @ 4 ohm, 150x2 @ 2 ohm). Can I use my existing passive crossovers for the 25NFA? I think they are 60 dB/oct @ 3500 hz. Would the different impedence of the 25NFA be a problem? Also I'm going to try to put the tweeters in fiberglass doorpods next to the mids. Good/bad idea?

·
Registered
265 Posts
snapple912 said:
Would the different impedence of the 25NFA be a problem? Also I'm going to try to put the tweeters in fiberglass doorpods next to the mids. Good/bad idea?
Yes, the different impedence will shaft the xover point, it will not cross where you think it will cross anymore. It is recommended that active crossovers are to be used when using DIY components.

I personally think it's always a good idea to have the mids and the tweeters as closed together as possible. I once thought about making a similar fiberglass enclosure, but decided that it was too much trouble, so I simply went with cutting holes in my doors. The imaging is not perfect, but I am satisified.

By the way, great choice on the 25NFA. I have a pair and really enjoy them.

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there anything I could do other than switching out my 2 channel amp for a 4 channel?
Maybe use a "bass blocker" or some sort of high pass on the tweet and wire it parallel with the mid?

·
Registered
265 Posts
snapple912 said:
Is there anything I could do other than switching out my 2 channel amp for a 4 channel?
Maybe use a "bass blocker" or some sort of high pass on the tweet and wire it parallel with the mid?
Heavens No, heh don't do that. First, it will get the sensitive all messed up. You will not be able to control how loud each driver is. Second, if you have high pass and low pass filters here and there, it's almost like constructing your own passive xover. (but a really poorly designed pasive xover) Passive xovers can not be adjusted very easily. When selecting xover points, you will want to play with different xover slops and frequencies. Sometimes It may take days or weeks to find the one that sounds best.

If you're going to spend a few hundred dollars for new speakers. I'd spend maybe $50 more for another amp. You don't need to swap out your 2 channel ampfor a 4 channel one. Tweeters (especially the LPG 25nfa in my experience) are very efficient. You can get like a 15wattx2 or 25wattx2 (RMS) and let that amp power your tweeters while your old amps powers the mids. The good news is that such a small amp will run you less than $30 if you really search for it.

May I ask what headunit you are using? Because if it does not have 3 way mode (high hpf output, mids bandpass output, and sub lpf output), then I'd recommend an active xover. which aren't very expensive, they will allow you to make countless adjustments to the xovernetwork.

You can take a look at this thread for more info on active xovers, Derek here expains it much better than I can:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Pioneer 8600 with 3-way crossovers. I guess buying a small amp would be the best thing to do. The 25nfa's are 8 ohm, right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would this Phoenix Gold amp work well? I think it is the Tantrum 300.2. Or could you suggest a few cheap options? Thanks for your help.[/url]

·
Registered
265 Posts
nice headunit. That unit will be pretty good. It even has time alignment (IIRC). The 25nfa's are 8ohms. But they'll probably read out a little less, what I mean is that my CA18RNX are supposed to be 8ohms, but they read 6.3ohms on the DMM.

That PG amp will be fine. Although it's WAY WAY more power than you need. It'll be okay to have overhead room. Just be prepare to attenuate it plenty.

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts