DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my plastic door panel hooks onto the actual door with plastic clips and 1 screw. Whenever the speaker plays a certain frequency, the plastic door panel rattles and buzzes. If I push against the door panel, the rattle goes away, while pulling on the door panel does nothing. The wires in the panel aren’t causing the noise. I used this thick felt pad as a spacer between the door and the panel, and that fixed the problem temporarily, however the buzzes and rattles are now back. I’ve also tried using packaging foam to put between the door and plastic panel but that didn’t dampen the vibrations at all. I’m not quite sure which is the better option,

1) Using dynamat and sticking it onto the actual plastic door panel itself and not the door.
2) Using a closed cell foam and sticking that behind the plastic door panel

I’m not sure for my situation if dynamat will work? I’ve only ever seen it used to dampen exterior noise and not really vibrations from the speaker to the door panel.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
So my plastic door panel hooks onto the actual door with plastic clips and 1 screw. Whenever the speaker plays a certain frequency, the plastic door panel rattles and buzzes. If I push against the door panel, the rattle goes away, while pulling on the door panel does nothing. The wires in the panel aren’t causing the noise. I used this thick felt pad as a spacer between the door and the panel, and that fixed the problem temporarily, however the buzzes and rattles are now back. I’ve also tried using packaging foam to put between the door and plastic panel but that didn’t dampen the vibrations at all. I’m not quite sure which is the better option,

1) Using dynamat and sticking it onto the actual plastic door panel itself and not the door.
2) Using a closed cell foam and sticking that behind the plastic door panel

I’m not sure for my situation if dynamat will work? I’ve only ever seen it used to dampen exterior noise and not really vibrations from the speaker to the door panel.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Closed cell foam is what we use for decoupling, which is what you need to do. Coupling is two things vibrating against each other (in this context anyway), so you need to decouple the door panel from the door frame, closed cell foam is the solution for your problem. Dynamat (CLD, constrained layer dampener) is used to reduce resonance in metal panels, no help for your problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Closed cell foam is what we use for decoupling, which is what you need to do. Coupling is two things vibrating against each other (in this context anyway), so you need to decouple the door panel from the door frame, closed cell foam is the solution for your problem. Dynamat (CLD, constrained layer dampener) is used to reduce resonance in metal panels, no help for your problem.
Perfect, just the answer i’m looking for. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Do your clips have a o ring where it mounts do the door?

I use felt squares cut to hold the clips in the door trim with o rings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do your clips have a o ring where it mounts do the door?

I use felt squares cut to hold the clips in the door trim with o rings.
The door panels are held on with these,

I’m not 100% sure on what you mean. Do you suggest I place felt squares around the clips or around the edges to help with the vibration? I’m also getting some closed cell foam tomorrow to put behind the entire door panel as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used tesa tape on the door retainers. Simply wrapped a shorts strip around each one where they slide into the slotted groove.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Tesa tape or butyl rope for those door clips. You may want to look at the Resonix site as they have many walkthroughs of sound deadening various vehicles and you can get some tips and some whys for each item to use.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
I've used a ring of silicone around where the door clips attach to the door. Pop the clips off, put a thin later of silicone down, let it dry, then reinstall the clips. Any of the other suggestions will work too, the felt, tesa tape, or butyl. There is enough play in the clips that they'll buzz like crazy. You may also need some vibration dampener on some parts of the door card as well. You need to find the exact cause of the buzzing, and address it whatever way works best.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I put foam rings on the top of the clips and adhesive felt under where the clips seat. They were very tight to get back on and can't really wiggle at all. The door fits back very tightly now.

20200126_142119.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your help!

So far, I’ve gotten a fair bit of closed cell foam installed behind both front doors. I tried going back and forth, determining where the panel buzzes and putting the foam behind it, but it seems like every time I put the door back on, another rattle appears. I ended up just putting the foam throughout the entire panel and this solved my problem tremendously! The rattles are basically all gone! It’s been a while since I have been able to enjoy music in my car without having cheap plastics overpowering the speakers.

My next steps are to either buy those clips with felt on them or just DIY them myself so I can get the door secured on better and eliminate the remaining tiny rattles.

Again, thank you all so much for your input and help!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Home depot has camper mounting tape which is quite amazing. I ran out of the little neoprene circles for my clips so I use the felt behind the clips and then on the car where they clip in (so both points of contact). I could probably use the camper mounting tape for almost everything, but having a little assortment of stuff is helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seems like you have solved the problem. I had a similar annoyance that I also solved with closed cell foam.
In my situation the outside edge of the door panel, where it contacts the metal skin, was buzzing like crazy. I marked the edge of the door panel onto the door with a Sharpie, removed the panel, then applied closed cell weather stripping along the Sharpie line. The foam I used is 1/2" wide by 1/4 thick and comes in rolls, similar to the stuff used for speaker seals. Solved the problem 100%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts