DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help with center console build (plastic fillers?)

I'm going to be starting on my center console soon and after doing a good bit of research I've come to a point now to where I'm just a little bit confused.

I'm going to be installing a set of mids in my center console. I'll be using some 3/4" rings to mount the speakers to but I need some way of making everything seamless. Naturally I think "alright then I need a filler". I was set on getting the Duramix until I really started researching this topic. I heard people complaining about the end results with Duramix, which then lead me to SEM, Lord industries and a few other select companies. Apparently you need to identify the type of plastic your working with too as I'm gussing there are alot of different plastics out there all of which have different chemical properties which cause them to react differently to the fillers, ect ect....*sigh*

At this point I've all but given up on doing this myself so now I'm asking for help. What type of plastic filler would you guys reccomend me to use that's relatively cheap? I've heard great stuff about the SEM line of products but I just can't bring myself to spend $80 on a gun just to use the $40 filler. I don't need a whole lot of this stuff as I'm just trying to blend in 2 mids to a center console so please keep this in mind.

Thanks for any help

Pics of center console:

General area wher I plan to mount one of them

Top view

If you need any more pics just ask

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I've been thinking. So long as the plastic panel I attatch the mids to doesn't flex, couldn't I just FG the rings to the console then apply some body filler over that? The biggest gripe I've seen about using something like bondo over plastic is that once it flexes it cracks and you have to do it over

Any input is appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Why not just fiberglass the whole outside of the console? Then you will have strength, no seams, and then you could either paint, or wrap it in vinyl, suede or just about anything else you would want to cover it in. If it were me doing this project I would definitely go with glass.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just fiberglass the whole outside of the console? Then you will have strength, no seams, and then you could either paint, or wrap it in vinyl, suede or just about anything else you would want to cover it in. If it were me doing this project I would definitely go with glass.
That's a good idea, but It would be pretty much impossible to glass the top of this thing with all the cup/change holders and other miscellaneous nooks and crannies it has.

Although playing off of that idea, I may just end up fiberglassing a large section. Maybe do like a 12x12 section where the spekers will mount to

Still kicking around ideas though, any input is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
185 Posts
If it were my build I would tape the top half off and leave it alone. I would fiberglass the entire walls around the entire console. Then just drill a few holes along the top half the whole way around the top dividing edge to make sure the glass will stick well. Then you will have a seamless entire bottom section and only one seem that you can blend with minimal filler and make a seamless console. Then all you will have to is paint or wrap it. If your going to wrap it though I would cut the top half off and then make it into a two piece console.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it were my build I would tape the top half off and leave it alone. I would fiberglass the entire walls around the entire console. Then just drill a few holes along the top half the whole way around the top dividing edge to make sure the glass will stick well. Then you will have a seamless entire bottom section and only one seem that you can blend with minimal filler and make a seamless console. Then all you will have to is paint or wrap it. If your going to wrap it though I would cut the top half off and then make it into a two piece console.
Thanks for another killer idea!

Although after reading yours I got another. What do you think of cutting out a nice big section in the general area where I'll mount the speaker, then come in from the backside and lay some FG matt over the portion I just took out? It'll basically be replacing the plastic with FG base which will be much easier to work with. Another added benifit would be the increased rigidity over the plastic...I think

Let me know what you think and I really do appreciate all the help so far

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is not a bad idea either, you could do that and then with some quality body filler fill in around that speaker ring and blend everything together. I think that would not be a bad idea make sure you scuff the hell out of the back of that panel to make sure you get a good bond between the two pieces. It would be a fairly straight forward enough, I would make sure to add about 6 layers to each side to make sure it is rigid enough. Some will say that is overkill but I would rather have it a little stronger at this point when everything is already torn apart.

Have you thought about dividing the center of the console inside to create separate chambers for each of the drivers?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is not a bad idea either, you could do that and then with some quality body filler fill in around that speaker ring and blend everything together. I think that would not be a bad idea make sure you scuff the hell out of the back of that panel to make sure you get a good bond between the two pieces. It would be a fairly straight forward enough, I would make sure to add about 6 layers to each side to make sure it is rigid enough. Some will say that is overkill but I would rather have it a little stronger at this point when everything is already torn apart.

Have you thought about dividing the center of the console inside to create separate chambers for each of the drivers?
Thanks for the input on my idea. I'll definatley be thinking over all my options before I go ahead and tear into it. Only thing I worry about is the adhesion of the FG matt to the backside of that center console because it's plastic. Ideas?

How I divide the console on the inside is not a major concern right now as it seems like a pretty easy task. Appreciate the help though

·
Registered
185 Posts
Personally if you can drill holes into the plastic around the edge of the cut out (even it they are not all the way through) they will create more surface area for the fiberglass to bond with. Just scuff everything up and make sure to put a layer of resin down then mat then more resin on top and you should be fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I've been reading about people using that hole method, things is how big do they need to be? Not sure If I want visible holes along the perimeter of the cutout though....

·
Registered
185 Posts
I use 1/4" holes, and then you glass over them on both sides just make sure that the resin grabs both pieces of mat that way when it dries the plastic is sandwiched in between the two layers of fiberglass.

·
Registered
239 Posts
IMO I would use the Lord adhesives or a Duramix type product. I have some and its great stuff. I would worry about the plastic bonding more than the wood bonding, so that would lead me to the Lord stuff. 'glass over plastic has always been so,so IMO.

I have switched to using the epoxies when i can. I haven't seen all the bad about the Duramix, I happen to have the lord becuase the gun was WAY cheaper than the SEM and Duramix. There is a guy who "rigged" a normal cocking gun into a two plunger gun with some PVC pipe so it would work with the SEM stuff.

also i wouldn't want to finish the whole console. Using what you need ,you can feather out some EMS texture coating and get really close to the factory texture.

I wouldn't glass it unless i made it removable and could then glued it down with the Lord product and smoothed it in with the load product.

this is all MY opinion. you won't know until you give it a try.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMO I would use the Lord adhesives or a Duramix type product. I have some and its great stuff. I would worry about the plastic bonding more than the wood bonding, so that would lead me to the Lord stuff. 'glass over plastic has always been so,so IMO.

I have switched to using the epoxies when i can. I haven't seen all the bad about the Duramix, I happen to have the lord becuase the gun was WAY cheaper than the SEM and Duramix. There is a guy who "rigged" a normal cocking gun into a two plunger gun with some PVC pipe so it would work with the SEM stuff.

also i wouldn't want to finish the whole console. Using what you need ,you can feather out some EMS texture coating and get really close to the factory texture.

I wouldn't glass it unless i made it removable and could then glued it down with the Lord product and smoothed it in with the load product.

this is all MY opinion. you won't know until you give it a try.

Thanks for the input. Mind telling me which lord adhesive you would use for this type of plastic? Naturally I want to make as least work out of this as possible while still maintaining a clean and integrated look. I think that using a plastic filler would be super easy and look good

Still open to what other's have to say about this aswell

·
Registered
239 Posts
I will have to look. I thought it was a 135 or the 165, let me verify that. My car is an '89 Ford so I may not have all the fancy plastics some cars do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the help Bagged

Could somone tell me if this would be a good product to use? It's the SEM problem plastic stuff but it doesn't require the $100+ gun to use

LINK

1 - 20 of 20 Posts