DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My vehicle is a small 4 door sedan 05 WRX. Ive had a few mild setups before but this time i am shooting for a bit of SQ. I should rather say SQL as im a fan of having it LOUD.

I basically want opinions which route to go and what to choose. I currently have an Alpine 9887 hu, pioneer zx 750.1 zx 350.2, JL10W7 in prowedge box, boston pro60se for fronts, PG mids ad some vifa tweets for rear fill.
I would be able to get an alpine PDX4.150 for a couple 100's but not sure if worth it.

I am planning of placing my tweets on the dash right by the top vents so tweeters will be quite far from the mids and firing towards the windshield. Would it be worth using all 4 ch of the pdx for the bostons? I am most likely getting a JL 500/1 for pretty cheap as well so i have a choice of keeping the kickers or replacing.
I enjoy listening to vocal trance, house, 80-90s hits and this time i want to have a decent sound staging

I have never done an active setup and it would be pretty new for me so im not sure if its worth getting into. I always used to be changing eq settings on my previous pioneer hu's but i am no pro at it. I just bought this Alpine and i know its capable of doing active.

I am new to these forums so pardon if i missed out on some info. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im new around here so b nice but i would go with a 3 way active setup.... I would also properly sound deaden my car(doors, roof, floor trunk) to elimante rattles and exterior road noise. Also from my understanding a properly insulated vehicle would reach higher spl levels at lower output and higher levels of sound is where speakers start to distort?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah I would agree with Daniel. Start off with sound deadning your WRX(I love those cars). The question to ask your self, are you planning on competing or just driving? Then the next step is how loud you want to go? Then the big deciding factor is money.

As for the sub, I would figure out if going 4th order firing the cabin threw the rear deck is ideal for you. This would probably be the route I would take. That is why I never really did a system in a sedan. I like to keep the low end in the cabin only.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for deadening that is on my to do list and i will be doing it at the time of the whole install.

I am not sure i am ready for an active setup yet though, Is it really worth it? My main concern is if i should bi amp my front components as the boston crossovers are capable of this, in order to adjust the tweeter properly, since its pretty far from the driver?

Could or should I somehow add an additional 2" mid/tweeter in my doors for a better sound staging?

I came across a PPI 900.4 that i could use for the fronts but have not seen solid reviews. Any advice between a used pdx 1.150 and this new ppi 900.4? space is kind of an issue as its a small sedan.

I will never compete in spl or sql. Its just for my ear :)

Also you are saying I should have the sub firing in the cabin instead of trunk? My rear armrest does fold down and theres a whole made for skis so it wouldnt be hard to do i guess. Or try at least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tuning an active setup isnt extremely difficult if u do some research on ur speakers and find out where ppl r crossing them over at and go from there. U might actually enjoy playin around with the settings. Remember what sounds good to me might sound awful to u.
I am running image dynamic cx62 v.2 midbass in the door with alpine spx tweeters with dls ur2.5 midranges. I have nothing in the back. the price of the midranges isnt too steep but i am thinking of upgrading to the dls scandinavia 3c midranges. Have u ever been in a car with a 3way setup?!? The sound stage is amazing. As for bi amping i really have no idea about any of that lol maybe some can chime in?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^
I have not heard an aftermarket 3 way except the oem ones like in bmw's. So are you running a 6ch amp just for the front? What brand is it and how do you like it? Im trying not to shell out over $200 for a front stage amp and am actually thinking about the ppi 900.4. Also i am trying to stick with the total of 2 amps in my trunk so my rear comps would be running from the hu. Anyway rears are just for some fill..
I need to some searching of how a 3 or 2 way hooks up because my mind cant generate an image of how you get 3 sets of rca inputs (from hu) for fronts and another set for a woofer.. hmm..

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
First and foremost Hello Flat4 & welcome to the forum. You will find a vast amount of knowledge & products available. Congrats for joining the forum.
The Alpine 9887 is a great HU to work your system layout. Keep both the Boston's & the JL sub. You may want to upgrade the amplifiers for SQ/L purposes. Look for a 750-1,000 watt amp for the W7.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I would say get an MS-8. Reason being is I believe if you are just getting into any type of sq it will be your biggest help. It would allow you to go both full active as well as learn a bit. By this I mean it has its autotune features, to start you can just set it up with that and as you learn more you can "extract" its full potential.

You may find that amps or speakers you have are more than sufficiant with the right tuning. if not then you will be able to see where you really want to improve. Also an MS-8 is like 550 shipped. Thats reallly cheap for what it can do. After that I would say focus on sound deadning and speaker placement, wire routing that sort of thing it all adds up in the end and most of it is alot cheaper than buying different speakers over and over.

This is my opinion on the matter anyway

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First and foremost Hello Flat4 & welcome to the forum. You will find a vast amount of knowledge & products available. Congrats for joining the forum.
The Alpine 9887 is a great HU to work your system layout. Keep both the Boston's & the JL sub. You may want to upgrade the amplifiers for SQ/L purposes. Look for a 750-1,000 watt amp for the W7.
Thanks for the info!

What amp would you recommend for my components and which way should i wire them? active? maybe just bi amp the crossovers?
Any personal experiences with the ppi 900.4?

As for the ms8 i like the idea of it i just think its for vehicles which can not upgrade to a better hu. I believe that it can sound good but it would be way off track from what i was planning to do with my system.

Again, my main concerns are:

• If another ~2" mid/tweet should be added to the door
  • PPI 900.4 is good enough amp for a step up from kicker ZX series
  • If front stage should be ran active (i know this is more up to me)
  • if ran active fronts and another ~2" mid/tweet is added, could i run it off of an internal map of the 9887?
This forum is all that's on my tablets screen lately :D
Thanks for the input though, one day I will be greeting newbs and advising on installs :cool:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hi,

My vehicle is a small 4 door sedan 05 WRX. Ive had a few mild setups before but this time i am shooting for a bit of SQ. I should rather say SQL as im a fan of having it LOUD.

I basically want opinions which route to go and what to choose. I currently have an Alpine 9887 hu, pioneer zx 750.1 zx 350.2, JL10W7 in prowedge box, boston pro60se for fronts, PG mids ad some vifa tweets for rear fill.
I would be able to get an alpine PDX4.150 for a couple 100's but not sure if worth it.

I am planning of placing my tweets on the dash right by the top vents so tweeters will be quite far from the mids and firing towards the windshield. Would it be worth using all 4 ch of the pdx for the bostons? I am most likely getting a JL 500/1 for pretty cheap as well so i have a choice of keeping the kickers or replacing.
I enjoy listening to vocal trance, house, 80-90s hits and this time i want to have a decent sound staging

I have never done an active setup and it would be pretty new for me so im not sure if its worth getting into. I always used to be changing eq settings on my previous pioneer hu's but i am no pro at it. I just bought this Alpine and i know its capable of doing active.

I am new to these forums so pardon if i missed out on some info. Thanks in advance

It looks like you already have most everything in place for a decent sounding setup. Although, if you go active you'll need a 4-channel amp (as you already know).

If you're not ready to take the plunge & go active, install what you have (minus the rear fill speakers) & listen/tweak for a while. Too many people on here (I'm guilty too :blush:) buy all sorts of stuff without even trying much of it out.

The reason I say ditch the rear fill is it can mess up your staging if not processed properly. This is where the MS-8 can help. ;)

If you find it's not satisfactory, THEN you can start to plan & ask more questions to get to what your specific goals are.

How much fabrication are you willing to have done to your car for front speaker placement (doors, kicks, dash, pillars, etc.)?

Be wary of the older PDX models... some have had noise issues, although mine were fine.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
What amp would you recommend for my components and which way should i wire them? active? maybe just bi amp the crossovers?
Any personal experiences with the ppi 900.4?
I sell the P900.4 so if that bias bothers you, you're forewarned. I use the P900.4 to run my front stage speakers. I'm not taking advantage of the built-in crossovers, but PPI has the perfect crossover solution to run an active 2-way front stage with their Power Class and Phantom amps. The efficiency of class D makes it easier on your charging system, plus you get enough power to make just about any component system come alive.

I would do the suggested Alpine CDA-9887 head unit and forget about an MS-8 for now. You'll have plenty of DSP power from the 9887 and you won't need to shell out an additional $500+ for autotuning. Yes, the MS-8 can do some amazing magic but it's not suitable for your budget.

If another ~2" mid/tweet should be added to the door
Check out the CDT CS-020X Center Stage system to see what's out there to add additional 2" mid/tweets. I would not recommend you add more speakers until you get the hang of a 2-way active setup. It's enough to keep you busy for a while.

PPI 900.4 is good enough amp for a step up from kicker ZX series
I have no experience with Kicker ZX amps but you will love the P900.4.

If front stage should be ran active (i know this is more up to me)
You're on the right forum to get help, so go for it.

if ran active fronts and another ~2" mid/tweet is added, could i run it off of an internal map of the 9887?
The CDT Center Stage and Accent Fill systems don't need dedicated amp channels. They run in parallel with your front amp channels, and crossover and level adjustments are done on a module.

edit: I forgot to add do not put sound deadening last on your list.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
More good advice from trumpet ^^^

Also, before you permanently mount your tweeters firing into the glass do some experimental aiming (more on axis with your ears), you may be more pleased with them aimed at you. The reflections off the glass can cause nightmares, but I've heard a couple cars that have pulled it off.

Oh, deaden your car first.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Also, before you permanently mount your tweeters firing into the glass do some experimental aiming (more on axis with your ears), you may be more pleased with them aimed at you. The reflections off the glass can cause nightmares, but I've heard a couple cars that have pulled it off.
I'm fighting the reflections monster right now. I've come to realize a dash pad is a must to combat the fatiguing effects of the chaotic sound caused by putting drivers near the glass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some great advise, I really appreciate that everyone! So i ordered the ppi900.4 and now I need another amp for the greedy w7 :(

I hooked up the 9887 (bought from chevyrider96, deff a good seller, not a scratch) to my current zx amps, w7, pg mids and vifa tweets (stock door locations). Let me tell you, I was blown away with the sound image that Alpine has produced! I have never heard this kind of staging and SQ in my subie ever before.

The 10w7 seems very quite and when i turn it up it sounds like its bottoming out. Local sound shop ( that i never use) has told me that its definitely because of underpowering with the kicker zx750.1. at 4ohm rms its rated below 400, 2 ohm rms a bit under 750 so it makes sense i need a new amp.

As long as the tweeters go, i was amazed with the staging as they are right now so the most i will do with the bostons is probably fabbing them into the a pillars.
After shutting the amp crossovers off, it made me realize how well the PG mids actually sound!

Would anyone NOT recommend a FLAT 0 awg power cable instead of the typical round one? It would be way easier to install but not sure if it flows as good as a round cable

What good amp would you recommend for 3ohm 800-1000rms possibly under $300's for the needy sealed 10w7?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check out the CDT CS-020X Center Stage system to see what's out there to add additional 2" mid/tweets. I would not recommend you add more speakers until you get the hang of a 2-way active setup. It's enough to keep you busy for a while.
Ive read some harsh reviews about having 2 sets of tweeters playing the same frequencies? Did i just happen to run into someones bad experience?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Ive read some harsh reviews about having 2 sets of tweeters playing the same frequencies? Did i just happen to run into someones bad experience?
Any time there are different speakers playing the same passband the sound will be less than perfect by the time it reaches your ears. In my experience adding full-range speakers above the dash is an incredibly easy way to raise the sound stage. There are reflections off the glass and dashboard to contend with, but everyone who puts tweeters in their A-pillars knows this reality, in addition to all the people upgrading vehicles with factory speakers firing into the windshield.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts