DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, hello to everyone. I joined this forum to hopefully get some assistance regarding my issue. My current Audio setup in my car sounds absolutely horrendous and im not sure what is to blame so i will list all my equipment and hopefully someone can tell me if my issue is a tuning or hardware issue. but the quality is just absolute rubbish and i kind of think it should be at least better than factory settings. any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

I have a Kenwood KDCBT610U Bluetooth Headunit,
Lightning Audio Strike s4.525c Split system in the front doors
Pioneer TS-A6963E 6x9 in the Rear
Targa TG-1252 2000W 2Channel (Running the 6x9's)
Sony XM-ZR604 600Watt 4/3 Channel (running the splits channels bridged)

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Exactly what do you mean when you say it sounds like rubbish? What are your exact complaints?

Ge0

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
Right, we need more specifics regarding what sounds bad.

One place you could start is by disconnecting the rear speakers, and focusing on the front speakers first. How do they sound with the rears disconnected? Are the high frequencies too sharp and fatiguing, is there a large amount of noise (static, hiss, etc.), is there distortion that comes on as you increase the volume?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so basically the front speakers, sound horrible if there is any kind of Bass, distorts bad when the bass hits in a song. I don’t know if I’m not driving them properly or what the issue is. But that’s probably the primary issue. The 6x9’s also don’t sound great and I get no bass out of them and clarity is terrible.
I’m trying to establish if the speakers are the issue or if I’m not driving them properly with my current amps. Thanks both of you for the replies so far.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
How are they installed? Are they mounted to solid baffles that separate the front of the speaker from the rear of the speaker, or are they just screwed into the sheet metal with very little care?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How are they installed? Are they mounted to solid baffles that separate the front of the speaker from the rear of the speaker, or are they just screwed into the sheet metal with very little care?
I had to have wooden spacers made to mount them. So they aren’t professionally mounted but not just to the sheet metal. reverberation was something that crossed my mind so I may have a look if there is anything causing an issue on that front. But would you say these speakers are ok to be run off the current amp I have?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
before we get into the install, are they getting a full range signal or do they have some form of xover applied

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also do you have any type of bass/treble eq or bass boost on the head unit applied
There is probably a bunch of different things applied currently on the head unit as I’ve been messing around trying to see if it would improve things. But I did this because it was horrible to begin with.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Also, what type of music are you playing when the bass sounds bad? If you are playing super bass heavy music then your splits probably can’t handle it. You might need to use a high pass crossover on the woofers. This would kill your bass but it’s better to have the drivers not receive low frequencies if they can’t handle them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, what type of music are you playing when the bass sounds bad? If you are playing super bass heavy music then your splits probably can’t handle it. You might need to use a high pass crossover on the woofers. This would kill your bass but it’s better to have the drivers not receive low frequencies if they can’t handle them.
I’m literally not even cranking it loud. The bass on every song regardless of whether it’s radio or iPod or even different genres sounds bad on everything. My knowledge is limited on whether this is possibly an under powering issue or some other kind of hardware related problem. It just seems really strange since I know my equipment isn’t the best around but it should be had decent? The splits were supposed to be really good when I bought them.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
I had a crossover installed but I have really bad ground noise with it so I removed that from the equation and ran a second set of RCA cables recently.
So, you aren't using the supplied crossovers?

If not, there's a big part of the problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you turn bass, mid, treble all the way to 0 on the head unit? Start flat and let’s go from there.
Are you sure that the crossovers on your splits are hooked up correctly?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts