DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I keep adding more and more weight to my DD (2000 Jetta) and while I've been looking for a Critical Mass UL12 or two at a reasonable price, I haven't found one yet... so in the meantime I think I'm going to do a budget dual 12" or dual 15" IB setup behind the rear fold-down seats to hold me over.

I'm trying to keep the price and weight down to a minimum while still getting a decent bang for the buck. Used would probably be ideal, but I don't really feel like waiting for the right combo at the right price to pop up (like I am with the CM UL12's).

I've narrowed the subs down to the JBL P1222/P1224 (12") or the JBL GTO-1514D (15"). Both are about the same price and the 12's are only a few lbs heavier than the 15's, so the weight is fairly close as well. I've heard the P1222's in a sealed box and was very impressed, but not the GTO-1514D's and neither in an IB configuration.

I'm new to IB so please give me your thoughts as to which would be the better combo given the trunk volume in my Jetta is around 11 cu.ft. I have 300w to 1000w rms available to power the subs.

TIA!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Check out the T3 Audio at Part Express. The drivers are cheap and they're screaming IB.
Have you heard them IB? Specifically which models would you recommend? I would think the JBL's above are possibly a better driver and can be bought for under $130 each. I'm guessing the efficiency, low end response, and even resale on them would probably be better as well, but I know nothing about the T3's.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Acoustic Elegance is the way to go for IB.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Acoustic Elegance
JL W6 and W7
IDQ 15v2
FI IB3
IDMax
Dynaudio Esotar 1200
IA Flatlyne

I'm sure there are a ton more but those are the subs that I've either tried or others have tried with success.

The AEs are designed for IB and the W6 sounds extremely good in IB.

If you only listen to rap and don't care about anything above 45hz, the Tempest X is another good one.

Between the two you listed, go with the 15.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I haven't heard the T3's, but they spec out perfectly for IB. Xmax and QTS are on point. Also, the price is right.

I'd look at the 600 series.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
The Qts on the 15 is prretty high. In my experience with IB, the lower Qts subs sound the best, plus it gives you the ability to carry stuff in the trunk without making the subs sound boomy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts