DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first attempt at going active, as well as my first attempt at building a tweeterless setup, oh yeah, and on the extreme cheap (divorce takes it's toll on luxuries like car audio). I built my last system around 5 years or so ago, with a Clarion (first infinitely adjustable color one, maybe 735 or something) HU, Crystal 6.5" Comps (CSC60 or 65 sounds right), whatever the 125x2 USX amp was at the time, and an older MTX 12" Sealed Sub\Kenwood Amp combo that I'd had for years, in a B5 Audi A4. I was really happy with the system at the time, although my listening habits would occassionally max my mids and the silk tweeters.

Fast forward to now, I'm currently driving an E36 M3 Coupe that came with a hodge-podge of Blaupunkt Comps + HU and stock speakers. It sounds absolutely atrocious and I don't think there's anything worth salvaging. As such, I'm looking at building this from the ground up.

As far as listening habits, I'd say that my tastes tend primarily toward Hip-Hop with some Trance\House and a bit of Industrial\Hard Rock (NIN\Tool). While I like things loud, I also have a really critical ear and have as much need for good clean sound as I do volume.

Here's my preliminary list thus far. I'm planning on using the build in crossovers in the Clarion to output mid + full range to a 4-channel, and then a mono sub amp. I figure if I really feel the glaring lack of a tweeter I can add one down the line.

Planet Audio Bb150.4 1200 Watt 4 Channel Car Amplifier for mid + full range Planet Audio Bb150.4 1200 Watt 4 Channel Car Amplifier + Warranty DAKmart $116.62

Peerless 830986, 3" Full Range. The Founteks are sold out now, so these seemed like a good second choice Peerless 830986, 3" Full Range from Madisound $38.00

Mid-Bass. Can't find anything but good results with these. They'll go in the kicks with slightly enlarged holes
Peerless 830946 SLS 6.5" Woofer - 4 ohm Peerless 830946 SLS 6.5" Woofer - 4 ohm from Madisound $91.20

It'll do red to match my interior lighting, has 6v pre-outs, usb connectivity, and a builtin crossover. I loved my old Clarion reciever, and this seems like a really solid choice.
DXZ785USB - Clarion CD/MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver DXZ785USB - Clarion CD/MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver With AUX and USB inputs $159.99

The IDQ's seem like a good trade of price\SPL\SQ.
IDQ12V2.D2 - Image Dynamics 12" IDQ Dual 2 Ohm Subwoofer IDQ12V2.D2 - Image Dynamics 12" IDQ Dual 2 Ohm Subwoofer $149.99

Best deal I could find at the moment on a powerful mono sub amp.
Clarion DPX11551 Clarion DPX11551 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 1550 watts x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com $219.99

All together this comes to $775.79 (not counting deadening, will likely go RAAMMAT and some Ensolite) and wiring (I still have a lot of 2G, 4G, blocks, and what have you left over from old installs). Unfortunately this is already stretching what I can commit to this project thin, and I might need to do Front Stage first and then come back with the sub.

Any comments, or alternate suggestions are welcome. Just found this board and am absolutely loving the infinite wealth of information to be gleaned here.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts