DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently installed a new stereo in my truck and I cannot get it to function properly. I installed new speakers all around a new headunit and an amp and sub I had laying around. When I turned everything on I had popping and cracklings in my speakers and the amp would turn off and on. I immediately assumed amp issues and replaced the amp with another I had. Problem persists. I check all my connections and re ground the amp to be sure. Change my signal rca what the heck. Problem persists. Just bought a new headunit thinking maybe I got a lemon it was cheap ok and if I adjusted the volume when the crackling was happening it would stop for a short period. Problem persists. I have done everything I know to do. I’m thinking maybe my remote wire is an issue considering the amp randomly turns off and on. Could a bad remote wire cause crackling? I’m at my wits end with this thing please if anyone can think of anything I have missed I would genuinely appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
I would probably get a voltemeter aka "digital multimeter" (DMM) and then check for shorts or bad connections.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check your vehicle wiring back to the battery and alternator. Make sure you have clean, tight connections.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could this still be an issue if my factory headunit had no issues? Maybe pulling more than the factory?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Could this still be an issue if my factory headunit had no issues? Maybe pulling more than the factory?
I’m assuming you had to touch some of that stuff to do the amp install.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Disconnect one speaker from the amp at a time and see if the issue goes away. if it's still happening with the last speaker, disconnect that one and connect a different one.

if disconnecting one of the speakers solves the problem, trace the wiring for that speaker and pull the speaker out of the mount, make sure the terminals are not touching anything and that the speaker wire is not damaged.

A speaker or speaker wire that has a short to ground can cause these symptoms.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My truck is a 2000 ford ranger xlt extended cab. I installed the kenwood BT778HD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will try pulling speakers I soldered them in so that’s a bummer but I’m willing to do anything to solve the problem at this point. Thank you guys for all the help.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I will try pulling speakers I soldered them in so that’s a bummer but I’m willing to do anything to solve the problem at this point. Thank you guys for all the help.
Just disconnect them one at a time from the amp.
No need to pull the speakers out or desolder them unless you find that's the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So found that my remote wire was bad and one channel on my amp was bad. Fun combination but it’s up running and sounds beautiful. Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
Did you get that DMM?
You measure your "pull", and then we could quote, "patient heal thyself".

So found that my remote wire was bad and one channel on my amp was bad. Fun combination but it’s up running and sounds beautiful. Thanks everyone for your help.
How did you figure that out?

And congratulations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you get that DMM?
You measure your "pull", and then we could quote, "patient heal thyself".

How did you figure that out?

And congratulations.
I threw the multimeter at it and saw my power was good but my remote dropped out and had nothing so I knew something was going on there. I found the bad channel by unhooking all the speaker inputs and testing them all individually came across one that was crackling and ruled out speaker wire and connections. (y)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I threw the multimeter at it and saw my power was good but my remote dropped out and had nothing so I knew something was going on there. I found the bad channel by unhooking all the speaker inputs and testing them all individually came across one that was crackling and ruled out speaker wire and connections. (y)
Nice work. Did you hook up a speaker directly to that channel with a short piece of wire to make sure it's the amp?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I hooked all four of my speakers to that channel just to be sure and the crackle followed.
Perfect, at least you know for sure.

Sorry for your loss . . .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts