DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Please help with Dynaudio x252 passive crossover. Do i need to run a active.

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  nitrofish72 
#1 ·
I know this is probably a silly question. I have a new set of Dynaudio Esotec 242. I was wondering when i run them with the passive crossovers do i still need to run a active crossover set at say 80hz and up? I dont really know if the passives feed the speakers with fullrange or not. I think anything say under 80hz at moderate to high volume will probably pop the mids. Please let me know because my precision power art series amps dont have crossovers and my Eclipse 55090 is lacking crossovers also. If i do need to run active to passive what would you guys suggest(6db,12db,18db,24db? Thank you for any feedback>:confused:

#2 ·
do you have a sub? How are you handling the low pass on that?

your dyne XO does not high pass the comps...you will want to use a 12db electronic crossover around 70-90hz.

#3 ·
Yes i have a Eclipse 88120 Subwoofer. So i guess i need a 2 way crossover right? Sub at 90hz and under and the Dynaudio 242's at 90hz and up to the passives. The thing is the audiocontrol crossovers i have looked at are either 18db or 24db(24xs and 2xs. Thanks for your response minisq but im still alittle confused on what to exactly do.:confused:

#4 ·
the thing about the audio control units that you mention is that you have a set crossover point and it is not easy to adjust it or tune it while you are listening, because you have to change modules...that and there is only one point for both high and low.

Have you looked at the Arc Audio Mx-1?

You will here a million different opinions on XO slope...i like a shallower slope on the dynes because they can play down really low....a smaller or cheaper speaker would do better with a steeper slope.

#6 ·
the thing about the audio control units that you mention is that you have a set crossover point and it is not easy to adjust it or tune it while you are listening, because you have to change modules...that and there is only one point for both high and low.

Have you looked at the Arc Audio Mx-1?

You will here a million different opinions on XO slope...i like a shallower slope on the dynes because they can play down really low....a smaller or cheaper speaker would do better with a steeper slope.[/

I havent looked into the Arc yet but i have looked into the old sony xec and coustic. So, thanks for your help i will be surfing ebay soon for a 2 way or 3 way crossover that is adjustable to 12db slope.:cool:

#5 ·
Need to know exactly what amps you have a for the proper suggestion, but you don't need to trim the 242's that high up. Those 7" Dyn's roll off at about 55hz-60hz, and you want to get all of that for better impact in the front. And depending on your listening levels, you may not even need it. If you find yourself always turning up the deck as far you can to get a good listening volume, then yes, you probably should run a separate high pass crossover to them if they're not playing loud enough full range. I would set the crossover at about 60hz though, again, to bring some solid midbass up front to better blend with the sub. I have Dyn 8's in my door, and I have them at a 12db slope rolling off at 58hz

But you said..."I think anything say under 80hz at moderate to high volume will probably pop the mids" Does that mean you haven't even tried it yet? I think if you mount them correctly they will surprise you.

What amp is on the sub? Again list all of the amps being used and I might have a different suggestion.

#7 ·
No i havent hooked up anything yet. My amps are 2 precision power a600.2's. So you think i might be ok without the active crossover? I like to listen at moderate levels. So the passives lets the whole signal through with no cutoff(fullrange? Thank you i really appreciate this help and very grateful.

#8 ·
you will need a crossover for the sub....and you should have a crossover on the dynes as well....but like i said and others...you will be able to go pretty low ...i suggest 70hz.

#9 ·
Yeah those amps have a good amount of juice, it should really let those Dyn's sing. And it will play full range pretty well too. It's just a matter of it will play loud enough for you at full range.

Before hooking up the sub, connect the 242's to one of the amps, and set the gain to minimum. At no time should you turn the deck up more than 3/4 of the way. With the bass and treble settings to flat or neutral (you don't want the deck to clip the signal before getting to the amplifier). Again, with the gain on the amp set to minimum, go turn the volume of the deck up...again NO MORE THAN 3/4's of the way with bass and treble flat. If it plays at that volume without distortion, turn it back down, go give the gain on the amp a small increase...go back inside and slowly turn the deck back to 3/4...keep doing this until you hear the speakers give an audible sign of distress, then go back and turn the gain down just a touch. Once you do this you can hook the sub up and bring it up to the level of the mid/high. If you don't have a crossover for the sub though it will sound a bit funky playing full range, but it should still sound okay because the speaker will naturally roll off the highs at a certain point.

A two way crossover will definitely enhance the system though by both limiting the real low end frequencies to the 242's allowing a bit more power to them. And trimming off the midrange duties of the sub cleaning up it's sound quite a bit. I'm sure you can find something in our classifieds here, or on ebay that would fit the bill.

One thing I would also mention. If it were my brand new speaker system, I would connect it and play it at super moderate levels for the first week or so allowing the speakers to go through a sort of "break in" period. Cranking them up to their max limits from the get go would not be my recommendation.

#15 ·
Ok i got the Dynaudio 242's hooked up to my Precision power a600.2 they sound spectatular in full range. My question is what would be a good crossover point for my Eclipse 88120 in a 1.25 sealed box? Should i cross over the Dyns say 70hz or just run full range? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.