DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a Ford Sport Trac with 4 sets of the Infinity Reference 6830 cs being run off a Kicker 700.5. He has no door treatments... yet.

The infinity components sounded like **** with no midbass and distorted very badly when the gain was less than 1/4 way up (less than 10v on the DMM).

He thought is was the speakers (even though I insisted it may be the install) and recently purchased a set of Massive Audio RK6 components. Well just for ****s and giggles we did a comparison of the speakers in free air without any passives. Low and behold the infinity 5x7s sounded incredible, they even sounded just as loud but cleaner than the Massives. When we held the speakers up to the door the mid bass output by the Infinitys was impressive to say the least. And this was all with the gain turned up to a more proper setting (like halfway).

Why wouldn't the infinity speakers sound that good running off the passives? Are infinity's passives just ****?

I know that passives can eat up a certain amount of power and may even cause distortion, but I don't understand why the speaker can sound better with MORE gain just by removing a passive.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
My buddy has a Ford Sport Trac with 4 sets of the Infinity Reference 6830 cs being run off a Kicker 700.5. He has no door treatments... yet.

The infinity components sounded like **** with no midbass and distorted very badly when the gain was less than 1/4 way up (less than 10v on the DMM).

He thought is was the speakers (even though I insisted it may be the install) and recently purchased a set of Massive Audio RK6 components. Well just for ****s and giggles we did a comparison of the speakers in free air without any passives. Low and behold the infinity 5x7s sounded incredible, they even sounded just as loud but cleaner than the Massives. When we held the speakers up to the door the mid bass output by the Infinitys was impressive to say the least. And this was all with the gain turned up to a more proper setting (like halfway).

Why wouldn't the infinity speakers sound that good running off the passives? Are infinity's passives just ****?

I know that passives can eat up a certain amount of power and may even cause distortion, but I don't understand why the speaker can sound better with MORE gain just by removing a passive.
I think you answered your own question.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so I do understand how passives can reduce the amount of power the speakers see, by turning it into heat right?

But how can a passive crossover cause such terrible distortion at very low input levels. Yet, the same speaker without the passive sounds great at 4 times the input wattage?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well....when you finish your can of coke, try sing inside the can and you're know what I mean.
Did you check your HU loudness off and all EQ flat. Set amp gain at 12o'clock to begin with and lower a bit when you hear the distortion. Normally the performance will not degrade too much if you go passive using an amp.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well....when you finish your can of coke, try sing inside the can and you're know what I mean.
Did you check your HU loudness off and all EQ flat. Set amp gain at 12o'clock to begin with and lower a bit when you hear the distortion. Normally the performance will not degrade too much if you go passive using an amp.
Well thats what I was thinking and the reason I posted this thread. I need help narrowing down what else coulee been causing the distortion.

Couldn't have been the amp cause the gains were lower when distortion was heard. When they were hooked up with the passives the speakers couldn't even handle 12 o'clock gain.

Couldn't have been the head unit cause everything was the same as when the speakers sounded great

Couldn't have been the install cause the speakers with the passive sounded better, yet with no baffle and just resting in the door skin.

The only variable I can think of is the passive crossovers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well thats what I was thinking and the reason I posted this thread. I need help narrowing down what else coulee been causing the distortion.

Couldn't have been the amp cause the gains were lower when distortion was heard. When they were hooked up with the passives the speakers couldn't even handle 12 o'clock gain.

Couldn't have been the head unit cause everything was the same as when the speakers sounded great

Couldn't have been the install cause the speakers with the passive sounded better, yet with no baffle and just resting in the door skin.

The only variable I can think of is the passive crossovers.
Your problem seem a bit tricky as without sound deadening speaker will not distort.

If you got two sets of Xover you can swap and test for result as different setting/branding Xover can be use temporary no problem.
Passive and Active both are good but most people go for active. The main culprit is that the supplied Xover were real inferior cheapo. The true quality Xover will sound nice but they were expensive and sometime really big in size.
For budget component, you're better off without their Xover. If you can connect direct HU spk output to passive Xover running the spk...try and see what result you get.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Well proposed a few hypothesies...

To which one are you referring?
Sorry I meant to do this:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your problem seem a bit tricky as without sound deadening speaker will not distort.

If you got two sets of Xover you can swap and test for result as different setting/branding Xover can be use temporary no problem.
Passive and Active both are good but most people go for active. The main culprit is that the supplied Xover were real inferior cheapo. The true quality Xover will sound nice but they were expensive and sometime really big in size.
For budget component, you're better off without their Xover. If you can connect direct HU spk output to passive Xover running the spk...try and see what result you get.
My Sport Trac BTW...
So your suggesting temorarily installing a different set of passive x-overs? I have the set that came with the massives. I guess I'll try them out.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
My Sport Trac BTW...
So your suggesting temorarily installing a different set of passive x-overs? I have the set that came with the massives. I guess I'll try them out.
Careful when using tweets with mismatched crossovers. Crossover point may be too low and you will blow the tweets.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My Sport Trac BTW...
Is your amp the ZX...they have build in cross over? did you over right it before connect the component? If yes, you can swap Xover to test but not high volume. If speakers still distorted, try running them with original xover connecting to HU speaker out to isolate RCA and amp.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Sounds like some defective passives to me. I wouldn't go as far as saying Infinity makes bad passive designs. A few complaints on tweeter brightness, but that's subjective. Passives do eat up a tad of power, but not enough for most to notice. If running an amp then it should definitely not be a problem unless the passives were damaged by too much power. Even that is not too common.

I would return the set or send in the passives for testing & replacement. Even if it is decided to go active the passives will still come in handy should the set be sold later. The only thing I find odd is that both sides (L/R) exhibit this problem?! That is very strange! Bad day in the factory or install is all that comes to mind.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.