DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve recently switched amps and it was playing fine, installed it on my back seats. I noticed that it turned off, laid my back seat down and noticed the screws I Installed the with amp had came out, saw it was in protection mode. I’m running it at 1 ohm. It’s still loose right now. This morning it probably played for 10 mins then shut off but when I was leaving from work it played for about 30 mins on my way home. It’s not getting hot, I just wondered if it’s going into protection because the amp is moving around and the wires are being pulled. Because I got home and it was in protection, turned the car off then back on an it was working fine.

· Registered
395 Posts
you should start with getting it properly secured. what amp is it and is it actually 1ohm stable. In theory it should work fine even if not fully secure, but it depends on how much moving around it might be doing.

If you want, you could just play it sitting in your drive/garage for a while and see if it acts up. Are you sure it's a 1 ohm load? you don't have any stray wires shorting out or anything, do you?

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
Ground could be shorting out when the amp is moving, sending it into protection mode...

Reactions: LowBassSubs

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s a pioneer GM-D8701. See I just figured since it was on the box and it didn’t really get hot, I figured it was all good to run at 1. I mean I had drilled it in the same way my last amp was and it never moved. I’ll definitely give everything a look over, it definitely needs some extra love, I installed it super quick so yeah it’s definitely not in there the best it could be

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
Do you know that it is one ohm stable? I doubt it is...

· Registered
892 Posts
• RMS: 300W x 1 @ 4 ohms, 500W x 1 @ 2 ohms, 800W x 1 @ 1 ohm
• Total Peak Power: 1500W
• CEA-2006 Compliant
• Variable Bass Boost: 0 to +18 dB
• Class D Circuitry

· Registered
395 Posts
Is this your amp? It took all of 2 seconds to find it directly on the pioneer site, very first result using google
Looks like you should be safe. So you need to check everything else. Like I said originally, I would also see if it does it without the vehicle moving

PERFORMANCE
  • Allowable Load Impedance1 ohm to 8 ohm allowable
  • Avg Current Consumption (amps x #ch)2.4 A x 1-Channel - 4 Ohm / 5.7 A x 1-Channel - 1 Ohm / 3.6 A x 1-Channel - 2 Ohm
  • Bass Boost 50 Hz - Frequency
  • Continuous-Power-Output30 W x 1-Channel - 4 Ohm / 800 W x 1-Channel - 1 Ohm / 500 W x 1-Channel - 2 Ohm
  • Crossover Network Subwoofer Channel LPF - 40 Hz-240 Hz
  • Crossover Network Subwoofer Slope-12 dB/oct
  • Frequency Response – Subwoofer Channel10 Hz to 240 Hz
  • Fuse Rating40 A x 2
  • Maximum Power Output600 W x 1-Channel (4 Ohm) / 1600 W x 1-Channel (1 ohm)
  • Nominal Power Output1 Ohm - 800w x 1 / 2 Ohm - 500W x 1 / 4 Ohm - 30W x 1
  • RCA Input2-Channel
  • Signal to Noise75 dBA (Reference: 1 W into 4 ohm)
  • Speaker Line input Sensor Yes
  • THD - Subwoofer=/< 1% ( 20 Hz to 240 Hz)

· Registered
51 Posts
Is this your amp? It took all of 2 seconds to find it directly on the pioneer site, very first result using google
Looks like you should be safe. So you need to check everything else. Like I said originally, I would also see if it does it without the vehicle moving

PERFORMANCE
  • Allowable Load Impedance1 ohm to 8 ohm allowable
  • Avg Current Consumption (amps x #ch)2.4 A x 1-Channel - 4 Ohm / 5.7 A x 1-Channel - 1 Ohm / 3.6 A x 1-Channel - 2 Ohm
  • Bass Boost 50 Hz - Frequency
  • Continuous-Power-Output30 W x 1-Channel - 4 Ohm / 800 W x 1-Channel - 1 Ohm / 500 W x 1-Channel - 2 Ohm
  • Crossover Network Subwoofer Channel LPF - 40 Hz-240 Hz
  • Crossover Network Subwoofer Slope-12 dB/oct
  • Frequency Response – Subwoofer Channel10 Hz to 240 Hz
  • Fuse Rating40 A x 2
  • Maximum Power Output600 W x 1-Channel (4 Ohm) / 1600 W x 1-Channel (1 ohm)
  • Nominal Power Output1 Ohm - 800w x 1 / 2 Ohm - 500W x 1 / 4 Ohm - 30W x 1
  • RCA Input2-Channel
  • Signal to Noise75 dBA (Reference: 1 W into 4 ohm)
  • Speaker Line input Sensor Yes
  • THD - Subwoofer=/< 1% ( 20 Hz to 240 Hz)
No, mine is the gmdx 9701, mine has (3) 40 amp fuses.

· Registered
51 Posts
very possible but would be mismarketed and not good of Pioneer to do. I wouldn't think Pioneer would do that but who knows. they are more of a budget minded amps, so anything is possible
Yelp, I agree. Wish it was like it was when I was a teenager, Precision Power art series amplifiers, they don't make stuff like they used to.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE: Unplugged all the wires re-twisted them and hooked it back up an it played consistently until it shut off and I saw the amp was in protection mode, I smelt something burning I thought something was on fire. So I got out and checked everything and nothing was wrong. Got back in my car this morning and it played fine. I think I’m pushing to much power to my kickers and burning the coils out but I’m not sure. Cause just like last time, the amp was barely even warm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.