DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to find a box builder in my local area and I came across this person advertising their customize subwoofer boxes. Me being a noob in regards to box building, can anybody take a look at these boxes and determine if it is quality wood work or just so so. I haven't seen too many people in my area advertise building subwoofer enclosure service.
box 2.jpg
box 2.jpg
box 3.jpg
box 4.jpg
box 5.jpg
box 6.jpg
box1.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
they look pretty good. nothing special. just your basic ported box. the triple sub triangle face look a little thin. but depends on the subs it was designed for too. kinda. comes down to the price. how much are those?

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
build quality is average, using dowels for bracing bugs me. But the real question you need to ask him is how does he determine box specs. Ask him to design a box based on your speakers and see what he comes up with.

i would group the subs closer together on the one with 2 subs, and away from the port. On the bottom box that slot port looks oddly too small and too narrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
build quality is average, using dowels for bracing bugs me. But the real question you need to ask him is how does he determine box specs. Ask him to design a box based on your speakers and see what he comes up with.

i would group the subs closer together on the one with 2 subs, and away from the port. On the bottom box that slot port looks oddly too small and too narrow.
When you say build quality is average, that is enough for me to stay away. Most of his pictures are of dowels being used as bracing. In most other ported box threads, I see whole sheets of mdf being used as bracing. I just wanted some second opinions. His avatar says cheap ain't good and good ain't cheap. I didn't ask for pricing yet but that avatar tells me it won't be cheap because he thinks his skills are good. I'm in Los Angeles and I can't believe it's so hard to find a good box builder with reasonable pricing.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
when talking box building , the design is as important as the build. He is using about $40 in material and a couple hours of time for each of those boxes, so i would expect them to be in the $150 per price range unfinished. Which is not a terrible price. If he is asking $300 unfinished then that is worth passing on. I would ask him for a price , and ask him how he arrives at his designs.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
The dowels and radiused corners look good... IMO.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The dowels and radiused corners look good... IMO.
yes, the boxes dont look that bad. I have seen far worse "custom" boxes come out of shops. The biggest part is the design. Is he just using generic designs for subs or is he using software and doing something specific to your subs. Some shops or people say its custom but really what they are saying is you have an 8" and I have a predetermined 8" box with a set tuning but we build it instead of selling you a prefab box.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, the boxes dont look that bad. I have seen far worse "custom" boxes come out of shops. The biggest part is the design. Is he just using generic designs for subs or is he using software and doing something specific to your subs. Some shops or people say its custom but really what they are saying is you have an 8" and I have a predetermined 8" box with a set tuning but we build it instead of selling you a prefab box.
Let's assume he does use software to determine the correct tuning frequency and net internal volume. Based on the build quality will you buy the box for let's say $180-$200 with mdf material?

I don't have much experiences with boxes but just looking at the box built by Sonix and selling for $140 before shipping, after shipping $200, the Sonix box looks much sturdier. Off course I may be totally wrong.

sonix.jpg

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
He lost me at mdf...

Reactions: Theslaking

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He lost me at mdf...
Almost all online boxes are made of mdf. To compare apples to apples I am stating mdf. I am here asking if my local box builder has good box building skills. If I buy a custom box made here locally, I would ask for birch.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Almost all online boxes are made of mdf. To compare apples to apples I am stating mdf. I am here asking if my local box builder has good box building skills. If I buy a custom box made here locally, I would ask for birch.
what you are showing looks good enough to purchase a box from the guy especially if he will use birch.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The boxes look good to me as far as craftsmanship goes. If he can build it to the specs you want/need at a reasonable price I say go for it.

·
Listener of Music
3,427 Posts
He lost me at mdf...
My first thought as well.

I love properly placed dowels. Just looks clean to me.

Any good box builder will build from what you want if it's good for building.

I agree with everyone. What modeling software does he use? Ask him. That's really most important. A well built box can easily sound like crap. And I've built plenty of crappy looking boxes the day before/of shows and they performed exactly as I expected.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
90% of all speakers are built with MDF, its a great speaker material, it just sucks to work with. But don't trash a speaker builder because he uses MDF. Birch ply is the wood of choice for DJ systems and PA systems not because it sounds better, but because it holds up better to the daily abuse they get.

·
Listener of Music
3,427 Posts
90% of all houses are made with builder grade material. Don't trash the the other builders for knowing there's better and using it!

But really the biggest issue I have with MDF is not workability (when hiring) it's weight and water. What do I care about someone else's issues with using a material they choose to build with? It's noticably heavier when using our moving. Math says it's only at most .75 lbs per sq ft but you definitely notice the difference. What happens to a carpeted MDF box when a wet hoody gets tossed against it in the trunk for a day? It swells up.

Now to be perfectly clear I'm not against MDF boxes. I built with it for 15+ years. I just found something better and suggest it as a first option.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The beauty of MDF is it has no tear out when using a router so it shapes nicely. Con is weight and of course water. Birch is lighter and to me that's where it has an advantage. Con is of course cost especially when you start going 11-13 ply and tear out. Cross grain cuts/routes can be a pain too. Those Sonix stage 3 boxes look well built.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I suppose their might be a few guys out there that are just SO terrible with their hands, they would be better off having a box built for them. Or buying a prefab.

But what I'd highly suggest is finding someone who is known for or designing / building amazing enclosures, and at least paying for a design (specifically for your subwoofers and space available), and get a cut sheet from them.
Next, find a specialty hardwood shop, or at least, a good lumbar yard (Not a Home Depot or Lowe's) to cut it up for you.
Bring home your pieces, and spend an afternoon glueing and screwing.

Not only will it be relatively cheap, but it will sound great, and you can tell people, you built it yourself 🙂

1 - 20 of 22 Posts