DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some opinions on equipment for my new install. I know it's all about the install, application and tuning...but this is a forum dedicated to this topic, so here it goes! Need to decide between the following:
Tweeters: Morel MT-350 or Dynaudio Esotar2 110 or Pioneer Stage 4 tweets
Midrange: Audiofrog GB25 or Audiofrog GB40 or Morel CDM 880 or Pioneer Stage 4 midrange
Midbass: Morel Elate MW 6 (older) or Focal Utopia M 8W or Pioneer Stage 4 Midbass
Subwoofer: Morel Ultima TI SC 104 or Focal Utopia M 10"
Amp: Focal FPD 900.6 or Morel MPS 5.950

Already have a Pioneer DEX-P99 and Focal FPD 600.4 amp installed in 2004 BMW 325i.
Thanks in advance for any input and please be kind.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to ask if the potential was there to use the 6.5"s as the midrange if I teamed it up with the Esotar2 110's and the Utopia 8"s?

·
Registered
4 Posts
A 2004 would make that an E46 BMW, IF I remember it can be difficult to use anything larger than 5.25” speakers in the door cards without some effort into making adaptors fit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A 2004 would make that an E46 BMW, IF I remember it can be difficult to use anything larger than 5.25” speakers in the door cards without some effort into making adaptors fit.
Yes, that is correct. I was able to install the Pioneer Stage 4 6.5's in there with some modification. I'm thinking of trying some kickpanels which is why I'm considering the Utopia 8's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good stuff, I modified the underseat enclosures in my e90 to take 8” focal ISU woofers and it solves the midbass hole problem I had.

Part of the reason, I think, is that the smaller 4” door speaker then can be crossed over at 250-300Hz at the bottom and around 3.5k on the top which reduces beaming and gives a much smoother and more distinct sound stage.

on that basis I would be cautious of using a larger mid range speaker as it doesn’t need the the cone area and a larger cone isn’t necessarily better for a dedicated mid range IMO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mid(age)bass. I'm a middle aged car stereo enthusiast. I caught the bug again and went a little crazy after the initial plan was to just replace an amp...well, 3 amps and 2 subs and 4 sets of speakers later I'm hopefully done with the purchasing and ready to decide on what to keep and what to sell. Kind of looking forward to installing my stuff (the fiberglassing not so much).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is pretty close to what I'm leaning towards. The GB40's are the only drivers I don't have and may not acquire for now since I do like my Pioneer Stage 4 mids. Haven't heard the GB40's but have heard many positives. Thanks for your opinion as it gives me some confirmation on my choices.
If it was me I'll do esotar 110, GB40 and Morel MW9 and morel Ultimo subwoofer

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
So, it sounds like you have all of the stage 4 speakers (midbass, midrange, and tweeters) is that the case? Do you have any of the Morel or Dynaudio speakers?

The stage 4 speakers are really good speakers, if you have them use them. You'll be making a lateral move by switching to the Morels or Dyns.

Edit: I see that you answered this in your last post. Don't buy the GB40's you don't need them, and they aren't the best midrange from Audio Frog anyway, the GB25 would be a better choice. The stage 4 midrange is a great speaker (if you end up using the Morel or Dyns, and want to sell them let me know).

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
And I would NOT use a 6.5" as a midrange, for the same reason the GB25 is better than the GB40. A speaker's size ditermines it's frequency response on and off axis. A small 2.5" midrange can still play plenty low enough to cross with a 6.5" or even an 8" midbass, and it will have higher frequency extension to pair with a tweeter. If you use a 6.5" you run into the same problem that you'd have in a 2-way, you'd need a tweeter that plays really low, which means it will be bigger, and more expensive. With a proper midrange (small) you can easily play down to the midbass, and easily play high enough to pair with just about any tweeter before beaming becomes a problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks gijoe! I appreciate all that information. I keep going back and forth on whether I should switch out my Stage 4 three way components. I've never thought they sounded anything but amazing. However, it's probably more a case of the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and curiosity to see if my system could sound better with different top end speakers. I'll keep you posted if the Stage 4's become available. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Thanks gijoe! I appreciate all that information. I keep going back and forth on whether I should switch out my Stage 4 three way components. I've never thought they sounded anything but amazing. However, it's probably more a case of the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and curiosity to see if my system could sound better with different top end speakers. I'll keep you posted if the Stage 4's become available. Thanks again!
You've got some very good speakers to choose from, unless you are willing to install them all and do a very time consuming comparison test, I'd say go with your gut and pick whichever setup you want. You have some decent tuning tools with the P99RS, so you can make any one of those setups sound great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts