DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
not just the right amperage, but also the best style for my circumstances. So, here soon I'm going to be installing my super cap bank, inline with my 320 amp HO alternator > 250 amp fuse > super cap bank > fuse in question > amplifiers.

My mono amp has a fuse rating of 250A and my 4 ch is rated for 3 X 90. Will a 250 be enough ? I've never blown to the 250 between my battery and my amps ? Also, Id guess if it were not enough, Id need to replace "both" inline fuses with something higher....

Anyway, I want something of good quality, either with a switch, or quick release.... in case of smoke :) Any suggestions ?

Any of these look good ?

PS, I know I said, "A fuse".... but would there be any disadvantage to a circuit breaker ? Obviously it could be reset, instead of having to replace a fuse.... but if this thing ever trips, I have bigger problems to worry about, than the cost of a fuse...

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
Inline as in series? Where are the batteries and where are you connecting the cap bank

Where do your amps connect too? A distro block or rear battery? Connect the cap bank to the same distro if you have one.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Inline as in series? Where are the batteries and where are you connecting the cap bank

Where do your amps connect too? A distro block or rear battery? Connect the cap bank to the same distro if you have one.
Do you mean if it is already working, then just put the cap bank hanging off the existing distribution bank?

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
Yea.

Negative of cap to negative distro connection or rear ground. And positive of cap to positive. So it’s parallel and not in series.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I use a circuit breaker from my batteries to go to a fused distribution block.
That said, I would NEVER use one of those cheap "hecho in china" brands for electrical protection ...while they may look identical to, and claim to operate like, other reputable brands, there is no telling if they are certified or not. And 250 amps is ALOT of current to mess around with.

Instead look at the breakers made by Cooper Bussman in the CB185 series.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

"Battery" .... singular, not plural. Remember, I'm pretty much "anti battery" and pro alternator guy 🙂 I could be the guy with 5 huge alternators.... 12 banks of super capacitors, and maybe 1 battery.... Or none at all 😉 lol

I have one cranking AGM battery under the hood, and that's it. Along with my 320 amp alternator, it's almost enough.... I mean it is enough to supply all the constant power my amp needs with almost no voltage drop. It's only the quickest kick drums it can keep up with.
My 1/0 power cable runs from this one under the hood battery, back to my my mono amp, and is split to my 4 ch stereo amp.
The super cap bank is going to be right beside my amps though. So the long cable from the front will be connected to the super cap bank, and then to the amps.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and maybe a dumb question, but why do I need a fuse or breaker at all, when 20" from that, the amps themselves are already fused ?

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
^So when the 1/0 got chaffed and shorts out...^

So you run a fuse for that wire, or a 250-500A breaker.

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
"Battery" .... singular, not plural. Remember, I'm pretty much "anti battery" and pro alternator guy 🙂 I could be the guy with 5 huge alternators.... 12 banks of super capacitors, and maybe 1 battery.... Or none at all 😉 lol

I have one cranking AGM battery under the hood, and that's it. Along with my 320 amp alternator, it's almost enough.... I mean it is enough to supply all the constant power my amp needs with almost no voltage drop. It's only the quickest kick drums it can keep up with.
My 1/0 power cable runs from this one under the hood battery, back to my my mono amp, and is split to my 4 ch stereo amp.
The super cap bank is going to be right beside my amps though. So the long cable from the front will be connected to the super cap bank, and then to the amps.
Yeah, Just connect the cap to that power distro.. and ground location or ground distro.

I’m with ya on batteries. I sold that other big group 31 and now only have the d3100up front. Moved my small 56f bank to the rear close to the amps the other day. I want to add a small rear battery. The rear kinda acts as a buffer and seems to take some load off the 1/0 running to the front

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
That short of a wire shouldn’t get chaffed and short out if installed properly which I’m sure It will be.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
That short of a wire shouldn’t get chaffed and short out if installed properly which I’m sure It will be.
I read 20' not 20"... oopsy

Reactions: Selkec

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
not just the right amperage, but also the best style for my circumstances. So, here soon I'm going to be installing my super cap bank, inline with my 320 amp HO alternator > 250 amp fuse > super cap bank > fuse in question > amplifiers.

My mono amp has a fuse rating of 250A and my 4 ch is rated for 3 X 90. Will a 250 be enough ? I've never blown to the 250 between my battery and my amps ? Also, Id guess if it were not enough, Id need to replace "both" inline fuses with something higher....

Anyway, I want something of good quality, either with a switch, or quick release.... in case of smoke :) Any suggestions ?

Any of these look good ?

PS, I know I said, "A fuse".... but would there be any disadvantage to a circuit breaker ? Obviously it could be reset, instead of having to replace a fuse.... but if this thing ever trips, I have bigger problems to worry about, than the cost of a fuse...
I see what you're thinking, try to protect the amps from the capacitor's surge, but I feel like it would be better to fuse the amps individually. I also understand a circuit breaker might be more convenient, but would it react/trip quickly enough? In any case, I think I read somewhere recently to fuse for 75-80% of capacity, which would put you in the 200-225 amp range depending on the current draw of that 4 channel amp.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
The amps have fuses, and the difference between a battery and capacitor is insignicant from the amplifier's perspective.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see what you're thinking, try to protect the amps from the capacitor's surge, but I feel like it would be better to fuse the amps individually. I also understand a circuit breaker might be more convenient, but would it react/trip quickly enough? In any case, I think I read somewhere recently to fuse for 75-80% of capacity, which would put you in the 200-225 amp range depending on the current draw of that 4 channel amp.
Well of course the amps already have fuses... 250 amp on the mono amp, and 3 x 30 amp on the 4 ch stereo... So 75% of 340 would be 255 amp...

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Well of course the amps already have fuses... 250 amp on the mono amp, and 3 x 30 amp on the 4 ch stereo... So 75% of 340 would be 255 amp...
Where is the extra fuse going?
You already have one to the block and one in each amplifier.

Extras are not going to help IMO.

And the capacitor will likely give you less current going into each amplifier, not more current.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where is the extra fuse going?
You already have one to the block and one in each amplifier.

Extras are not going to help IMO.

And the capacitor will likely give you less current going into each amplifier, not more current.
Well, for whatever reason, on at least one video (the one from Showtime, where I got the Xs cap bank) they recommended a quick disconnect fuse holder... In spite of the fact it was very close to the amps, and pretty much every camp I've ever seen has built in fuse holders ?

Not sure why this is recommended ?

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
I assume it is so that the caps are then limited into what they can dump?

So then shove a 250A or 500A fuse or breaker in there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts