DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I listen to a lot of hip hop and am looking for a midrange driver with nice mid bass performance.
  • Will be installed infinite baffle on bmw e28 door panel
  • Prefer a 7" but 8" max
  • 3.5" max depth
  • $160 budget, new or used
  • Will have 240 watts thrown at it
  • Will be run 2way active from hu
  • 15" Idq v2 infinite baffle low passed at 60
I was originally thinking the 8" versions of the silver flutes, but if someone has another opinion I would love to hear it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so if the rs180 can't handle that much power, then it's out. Which one would you guys choose as an upgrade path to mini horns down the line? I was thinking about setting up a nice 2 way for this year, then upgrading to horns next year. I "thought" I read somewhere Eric Stevens helping out some guy in Indonesia using mini horns and Silver Flutes but I can't find that thread and can't confirm it. If the guy was using Silver Flutes, I'm also not sure which size he used.... argh.

I already have the ID 6.5 OEM in 2 cars and am not too impressed with them (probably my setup but want something different no matter what). Seems like the rs180 is out because of power, so how would you guys rank the CDT, and the SEAS Prestige P18RNX/P for a 2way (plus future horn compatibility)? Can the SEAS level match with the horns if their 8 ohms? If I'm totally off the mark, please set me straight before I make retarded purchases.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
If you mean 240w per driver then most driver that can take that will be more than 3.5" deep and cost more than $160 pair. And most likely is a pro driver which will be 8ohm. I thikn you might be worrying too much about power.

Might be able to find the JBL C608gti mids for less than $160.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I have quite a few RS180s in my house and they do NOT like running on my MB Quart Q4.150. They absolutely cannot take 240w... period.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've read from way back that the CDT HD midwoofers are based off of, if not pretty much the same thing as Vifa's old P17 classic line. If so, they should be able to play high enough to mesh with the Seas Neos without leaving a hole in the frequency range. I have a line on a pair of the Vifa Classics in 4 ohm, which may suit you better than the 8ohm Seas Prestige drivers. Drop me a PM if interested.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have quite a few RS180s in my house and they do NOT like running on my MB Quart Q4.150. They absolutely cannot take 240w... period.
Not to jump in someone else's thread, but do you think they could handle 120 watts?

I'm looking to run a pair in an active setup off 2 channels on a Massive NX5

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
He's not saying they can't be paired to an higher wattage amp, but that they cannot but pushed with that high of wattage. Use the gain to adjust the amps input to match the required output.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I have seen a post here, forgot on which thread, with the claim that Massive Audio CK6 woofers are as good or better than most DIY drivers, at least in that price range. The CK6V just started being shipped, so it may be worth looking into that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts