DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good to know. Makes you wonder why there's a fire sale on these though. Possibly these are b-stock that had some QA issues? Either way, for their price, it's still worth the risk for the power. As long as they don't take any other components out with them if they do go.

Josh
I am pretty sure polk is discontinuing this line of amps. No longer on Polk's website and Crutchfield says discontinued on their website.

Oh, I understand, but it's still wierd, I haven't seen any large sales on the other amps in this series. Still an amazing deal. I'm debating if I want to go with 4 of these over the NVX or Zapco St-X amps... The price per watt is truly amazing. And I like to save money whenever I can.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I’ll admit, I ordered one of these to run bridged to power my single Pioneer 12 in a sealed box in my truck. It’s arriving Monday. I couldn’t pass up the deal. Having said that, upon further inspection, this appears to be different than then PPI P600.2D and the Soundstream TN2.600D. The RCA’s are on opposite sides of the board in the photos...

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
I’ll admit, I ordered one of these to run bridged to power my single Pioneer 12 in a sealed box in my truck. It’s arriving Monday. I couldn’t pass up the deal. Having said that, upon further inspection, this appears to be different than then PPI P600.2D and the Soundstream TN2.600D. The RCA’s are on opposite sides of the board in the photos...
Not different. The board is just upside down compared to the PPI and Soundstream. Notice the power and speaker connections, as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh yeah! Must be due to the way the heat sink is layed out...

I’m VERY tempted to order 3 more for my 3-way active front stage and a Dayton DSP408. It’s either that or wait for the Zapco ST-6X DSP to come out...

Four of these would be $195, plus the Dayton DSP-408 with my Commercial Sales account comes to $125 shipped. So total would be $320.

The Zapco ST-6X DSP is $600 and I’d keep the one of these that I bought for my sub. So total would be around $665. But would it be worth spending more than twice the cost of going with these and the Dayton DSP...

Ugh, I love this hobby!

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
The Zapco ST-6X DSP is out, but the availability is supposed to be somewhat limited right now. If you are wanting it soon, you might need to order quickly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know. I spoke with wooferetc about it already. They’re getting a limited supply and said if I want one, I’d need to order it ASAP. I just don’t have the spare coin to drop right now. I wonder what the spec differences are between those two setups and if it would make an audible difference.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A pair of these would probably be a solid replacement for my Alpine PDX 4.100, which I'm planning to sell. One amp for my AF GS690 pair and another for my MDT29-4 tweeters. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
216 Posts
After reading reviews, it seems likely that these can be hit or miss. Enough reports of them failing to be concerned, but I'll take my chances for the price.

·
Registered
153 Posts
After reading reviews, it seems likely that these can be hit or miss. Enough reports of them failing to be concerned, but I'll take my chances for the price.
That’s what I read too as I said earlier and had one smoke but I will say so far VMinnovations has been great. Emailed them the other day told them what happened and they said no problem send it in and we’ll send out a replacement as soon as it gets here. They responded to me email and had a return label to me in minutes. Hopefully they last a little while.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That’s what I read too as I said earlier and had one smoke but I will say so far VMinnovations has been great. Emailed them the other day told them what happened and they said no problem send it in and we’ll send out a replacement as soon as it gets here. They responded to me email and had a return label to me in minutes. Hopefully they last a little while.
That's great to hear.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The only ones I have read about having issues were a few refurb's sold thru Amazon a year or more ago. But, with so many being produced it's almost a certainty that a few will have issues.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like the price for this is back up to over $70. Anyone want to by mine that I’ve used for a week? Finally picked up the Zapco I wanted. This was a hold over until it arrived. Asking $50 plus shipping. PM me if you’re interested.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I finally got around to installing these little guys. Great bang for the buck, for sure. Both of the ones shipped to me are (so far) in good working order.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thought about posting a follow up here as well.

I got all four installed and I gotta say I am ecstatic about the performance and quality that these things supply. they really make for an awesome SQ build on a budget.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yeah, at approx. $50 each the little Polk amps were a steal. But, as they go back up in price and get closer to the $100 mark, they lose some of their appeal.
At around $79 I'd say they are still a good deal though. Refurbed JBL GTX500 mono amps can be found for about the same price. Plenty of low cost options out there at the moment.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just following up to report that, after a year of daily use, one of these amps (I sold the second one) just started smoking like crazy. No speakers connected at the time. I was just about to do some level and gain adjustments after adding a new DSP to my setup, had the speakers disconnected, and smelled something I didn't like. A few seconds later I saw smoke start trickling out from the sides of the amp. Damn shame. I suspect there's a design flaw to which most of these amps will eventually succumb. I'm yanking it in the morning before it has the chance to do any damage to other components of my system. What a bummer. Too good to be true. Should've known better, given the price...

21 - 40 of 49 Posts