DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions on this Polk Audio amplifier? Driven by an MS-8 and driving a set of 3 way component CDT HD 642 speakers up front?

I'm looking for a mid level system aiming for the best SQ I can afford. I think Polk Audio has a good rep, right?

·
Registered
238 Posts
you didn't post a model number...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Looks to be a nice amp. If I hadn't already bought Boston GTA amps, I would likely grab a couple of those Polk amps. They look to be a major step up from their previous PA line (they went from stupid fixed Xovers to fully active capable Xovers) However, you'll need more channels if you're going active.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i had a pair of polk MM subs they had amazing sq sealed and ported. i would have no doubt their amps are quality as well

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
These new Class D Polk amplifiers and PPI Phantom amplifiers are more or less clones of each other. There are tons of information on the PPI Phantom amplifiers. Moreover, the pasmag.com reviews both, the 4-channel PPI and the Polk (near identical results). If I was interested in this amplifier, I'd buy the PPI version, PPIP600.2, because it's basically the same thing and costs less. I don't know if these amplifiers represent the ultimate in Class D SQ. My gut feeling is that this honor goes to Alpine PDX and JL Audio HD. But for the money, given that it's half the price of Alpine PDX-F4/F6, the PPI/Polk design seems good value. I just got myself a 4-channel version to drive subwoofer and rear speakers. (The 4-channel version is $30 off at soniceletronix right now)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought PPI got bought out and went down hill.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I thought PPI got bought out and went down hill.
I think Grizz Archer on the PPI Phantom thread mentions they want PPI to be a high end brand. The PPI Power Class amplifiers are still going strong, some of cleanest sounding for the money, and this Phantom line seems like a nice product too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These new Class D Polk amplifiers and PPI Phantom amplifiers are more or less clones of each other. There are tons of information on the PPI Phantom amplifiers. Moreover, the pasmag.com reviews both, the 4-channel PPI and the Polk (near identical results). If I was interested in this amplifier, I'd buy the PPI version, PPIP600.2, because it's basically the same thing and costs less. I don't know if these amplifiers represent the ultimate in Class D SQ. My gut feeling is that this honor goes to Alpine PDX and JL Audio HD. But for the money, given that it's half the price of Alpine PDX-F4/F6, the PPI/Polk design seems good value. I just got myself a 4-channel version to drive subwoofer and rear speakers. (The 4-channel version is $30 off at soniceletronix right now)
Well, the Polk amp says 125 Watts out and the PPI says 190 Watts out. Technically they could still be identical, but it doesn't sound like they are.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Well, the Polk amp says 125 Watts out and the PPI says 190 Watts out. Technically they could still be identical, but it doesn't sound like they are.
It could be that they use the same board circuit layout but different quality components. Quite a bit of difference can come from that. However, I always take the manufacturer's ratings with a grain of salt because there is no way to confirm them without measurement equipment. The 4-channel versions are also rated so that PPI is a little better than Polk, but a pasmag.com review showed very close wattage output between them. It seems like Polk might have underrated its amplifier a little, while PPI did not bench a lot better than its spec sheet rating. In any case, choosing the PPI among these two seems like a no brainier to me given that it's cheaper right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts