DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, planning on dropping the Polk Audio MM6501 Components into my car. My question is, is it worth it to spend a little extra and get a 4-channel amp and an active crossover VS. just running them off a 2-channel amp and the passive crossovers? I've heard that the tweeters were a little harsh and the active crossover would give me more flexibility to control the sound. I like the idea of being able to control the tweeters and woofers separately.

Or is it really not worth the extra cash and effort and it will sound good enough with the passive crossovers? I will be getting a Pioneer HU with 8-band equalizer so would turning down the treble be enough to make the tweeters sound better?

Any other comments, suggestions are definitely welcome. Maybe a different set of components would be better? My maximum budget would be the $200 I am going to spend on these Polk's but I have done plenty of research and these seem to be the best option for this price point.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I think it's certainly worth it to switch to active if your head unit also has time alignment. Being able to time align tweeters and woofers individually can make a good improvement in imaging. If you're only worried about tweeter level, try the EQ and also experiment with them off axis. Many tweeters have reduced dispersion of sound off axis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts