• Total voters
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have heard all three... Here's my ranking:

Esotar - Unbelievable
Scan 12m - Second but not by much! Amazing mid
Hat L3se - Very nice midrange but for the price you can get better.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I'm running the Dynaudio 142 but they're sold pending payment for the e430 mid. The 142s are very nice but from what I hear the 430 is the best mid out there. If you haven't decided in a couple weeks, I'll probably have a review on them.

So I basically have no valuable info to give, just bumping this since I'm buying one of the mids in the poll and a little reassurance is nice when buying a $1,600 retail midrange.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Scan 12 might fit in the A-Pillars as well

Might get rid of the HU- (avic 120) and get the Dex p99 but dont really need that expense right now

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm about to do Scanspeak 10f's on my a-pillars and from what I understand they are on par with the 12m's...only time will tell. I'll be sure to post my findings when they are up and running.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
what's ur price range? vifa NE is not bad sounding at all if ur looking for something less expensive. arc black series coming out is suppose to be awesome!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a balance between SQ and size of the Mids. The A-pillars on a VR4 are not wide or deep. Trying to blend them into the pillars and not have a huge pod taking up the dash.
If I can't find an appropriate Mid for the A-pillars I'll have to move them to the kick panels.
Although I have not done a test on this car, I.m guessing the height of the stage would be greatly affected by locating the mids to the kicks.

I might be forced to start to look for a smaller 3" mids to locate them in the pillars. I have seen an Audison Mid that might work, but would like to look at other Mids as well.

So, the short of it is I want SQ first and A-pillars second. If I small 3 mid can give me the SQ of a Dynaudio, HAT or scanspeak 4 inch, I'm all ears

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Erin's (bikinpunk)12Ms sounded really great in the pillars. But if you want to go as small as possible and still be able to play down to 300hz with some authority....the AP xr3m drivers will not disappoint

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pure Midrange but that also depends on the Tweet selection, Probably going to use the SR 6500 as midbass. Im guessing I will use L1 pro SE for tweets but have not finalized.

I know the Scan Speak 12m's are great. I prob should take the dimensions and make a mock-up to see the size on the pillars

Replacing my avic120 with DEX P99

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Its a balance between SQ and size of the Mids. The A-pillars on a VR4 are not wide or deep. Trying to blend them into the pillars and not have a huge pod taking up the dash.
If I can't find an appropriate Mid for the A-pillars I'll have to move them to the kick panels.
Although I have not done a test on this car, I.m guessing the height of the stage would be greatly affected by locating the mids to the kicks.

I might be forced to start to look for a smaller 3" mids to locate them in the pillars. I have seen an Audison Mid that might work, but would like to look at other Mids as well.

So, the short of it is I want SQ first and A-pillars second. If I small 3 mid can give me the SQ of a Dynaudio, HAT or scanspeak 4 inch, I'm all ears
I doubt locating the mid in the kicks would hurt the stage at all as long as you have processing power. My midbass are in the doors, mids in the kicks, and tweeters in the dash and my stage is high, wide, and out on the hood. I'm not saying that mids on the pillars might not be ever so slighly better but there should be no worries of stage height with them on the floor.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts

I doubt locating the mid in the kicks would hurt the stage at all as long as you have processing power. My midbass are in the doors, mids in the kicks, and tweeters in the dash and my stage is high, wide, and out on the hood. I'm not saying that mids on the pillars might not be ever so slighly better but there should be no worries of stage height with them on the floor.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The real question is......how many have personally heard all 4 in a controlled environment??? Most voting haven't heard any and some and heard 1 or 2. I have heard all but the Eton.

Oh, and mid in the kick will NOT lower the sound stage, but it will help to equal path length distance (better center imaging) and can be more forgiving (not as many reflecting surfaces).

1 - 20 of 88 Posts