DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how effective is stuffing boxes with poly-stuffing does it really make a lot of difference and if so, could I even stuff it behind my speaker housing? And also what about a bass tube?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Stuffing makes the woofer "see" more volume in the box. Drops the Q of the speaker.

Works great in any enclosure... but you don't want it loose in a vented box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I see. So how much is needed to fill a box? Like would I need to fill it to the brim, or just to have the sub fit snug, or not even that much? Thanks a lot for the help!

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
You want to fill the box for the most effect, but you don't want to plug up the speaker motor cooling vents if you run it hard. Some factory boxes actually do fill the box right to the port, a kicker truck box for example. You do not pack the stuff that is a bad ideal, it needs to just be in there roughly the density most poly comes in, like if you cut a pillow open that size. If you pack it in that can start taking up more volume in the box and tune it higher. If you search here there are threads on it that state a range of lbs per cubic foot to use. Some say it can make the box appear to be up to 30% larger far as tuning, but that could be optimistic or perfect conditions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys thanks for the help, I see what you guys mean, It sounds like there's a bit more then I thought, i mean I figured that all I had to do is buys few bags from ac moore and stick it in there. But guess there's more to it.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
That is about all I do; I stuff it full, don't pack the stuff at all leave it expanded like it comes. I leave at least an inch behind the sub motor and screw it back in. You don't have to fill the box, it just has less effect and even a full box has limited effect but certainly you can tell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool! now I can't wait to go buy some this weekend. So now being that I run my bass level at a lower setting for safety sake it should make up a lot of what I'm missing right? I got a single 15" in a sealed box. It hits pretty hard, even on a lowered setting. I mean its not crazy low. just a point lower then half on the amp and two lpoints. lower then half on the radio's bass control. And now by doing this it should make up those few points. without stressing anything on the sub?

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
All it really does is slow down the air inside, so it acts like a little larger box would. It gets rid of a little of the higher bass maybe 50Hz and above. It is not a major difference, it does not change the power handling of the sub, it is just a way to tune the bass a little lower. It will make the sub 'sound' quieter if anything, because the higher bass (spl tune) is usually what people say sounds loud.

With a ported box if you push a lot of power you might want a subsonic filter that cuts off below tuning. The sub will unload there and get a lot of xmax, you can run it harder if you high pass with a SS filter so it can't xmax down there. You can see it if you play a tone sweep, xmax goes down at tuning and the port plays more, below that the sub will get way more xmax, above tuning it acts like a sealed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think I understand what you mean. just not good with terms you used , But what I think your saying is Its gonna muffle the subs unwanted noise a bit, but since it makes the box seem bigger to the sub. It will drop the bass down deeper ( like now it goes Boom but after it will go boooooom longer and deeper. Lol) if you know what I'm say lol ( you definitely know what your talking about but since I a bit green on the lingo I just hope you get me lol) , if what I'm saying is right then that's a really good thing for me that's exactly what I would want. A double + on that lol. And on my head unit it has all that ss filter and a few other things built in the features so I should have to buy any extra gear to tune it all right? just play with it till I get the sound I want out of it?

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Sure get it to sound like you want. You should play a sweep though, you can download tones on this site. Play lower until you see the sub start to move a lot more, at a medium volume. Move the SS higher until it evens out and does not move more with the really low bass under tuning. If you really bang on it you can xmax it with low bass if you don't set that. Otherwise sure try different settings until it works like you want.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Walmart has a thin mesh material in their fabric area that I've used to keep the poly away from motors and ports. Its dirt cheap, too.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Morons got rid of the material area in the store near here, they still have some of it in the crafts section but much is gone.

In fact most of this year the shelves were half empty there, they would be out of mustard in the middle of the summer for example. No wonder their stock didn't do so well, and the selection sucks at this one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Morons got rid of the material area in the store near here, they still have some of it in the crafts section but much is gone.

In fact most of this year the shelves were half empty there, they would be out of mustard in the middle of the summer for example. No wonder their stock didn't do so well, and the selection sucks at this one.
Lol. Maybe its for the best. Going to walmart is never a real pleasant experience. There's always just plain ol craft stores, and you'd probably have a better chance of escaping with only what you went in for. I can usually make it out of a craft store without $100s worth of be dazzle jewels and finger paint... usually ;)

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Lol. Maybe its for the best. Going to walmart is never a real pleasant experience. There's always just plain ol craft stores, and you'd probably have a better chance of escaping with only what you went in for. I can usually make it out of a craft store without $100s worth of be dazzle jewels and finger paint... usually ;)
I don't want to get OT, but they really PO'd me this year. So happens its the easiest chain store to get to here so once a month or so I'd be there getting bath supplies or whatever and good source for emergency glue/tape/simple hardware/maybe some sale items. At least this store just went way downhill in selection and price, the area is not that bad so the people are negotiable lol. But yeah, there is this place called hobby lobby here too that has all that stuff and is the last place I bought stuffing and some material to cover something. Can find some cool stuff in those places sometimes, and they have the fleece/foam/heavy type materials. Still had to go to pep boys to find some carpet for my amp rack and its not really the right color. I need to learn how to order ahead of time, but then again I like to support locals so they stay here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts