DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a custom sealed box for my 12w6v2 a couple months ago. It is about 1.3 cu ft. Figured I would try a bunch (1.75lbs) of polyfill to see if i picked up some low end.

Basically, I get the exact same results. The minor differences I more or less figure are measurement variances tbh..

Weird, figured something would change??

No eq, set xo at 200hz/24.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I built a custom sealed box for my 12w6v2 a couple months ago. It is about 1.3 cu ft. Figured I would try a bunch (1.75lbs) of polyfill to see if i picked up some low end.

Basically, I get the exact same results. The minor differences I more or less figure are measurement variances tbh..

View attachment 284177

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 HertzHDP-5 Rockford DSR-1 LPG26NA GS25 RS180-4 Um12
565 Posts
How does the subwoofer model with a slightly larger enclosure? I’m just shooting in the dark but isn’t the W6 a small enclosure sub? Perhaps the 1.3cf is already fairly large and going slightly bigger as the polyester mimics isn’t that big of a change?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1.25 cu ft is Jl's suggested size for the v2. I read some posts about people liking them in slightly larger boxes, and figured I'd put the max suggested amount of poly fill in to see what changed.

Shrug, no big deal. I'll have to give it a listen too to see how it sounds.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

View attachment 284177
You'd probably have to measure with a DATS or something similar to see a change in the Qtc. Also, an in-car measurement is probably not the best choice to spot a small change in a sealed sub.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not moving it ;), I spent a lot of time planning and fabricating for the current location.

I'll give it a listen this coming week, maybe I'll like what I hear :).

·
Registered
130 Posts
People have mixed emotions on polyfill. Some have had good results with it me personally I have tried it probably 5 or 6 times and every time it was a waste of time & money. Besides ported always sounds better anyways.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm not moving it ;), I spent a lot of time planning and fabricating for the current location.

I'll give it a listen this coming week, maybe I'll like what I hear :).
Oh I assumed it was just a mdf box. Nevermind than. Erinh has a good video on moving the sub around in his hatchback w/ difference measurements of response.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a mdf box, but a specific shape mounted to the folding rear seat. So I can still fold down the other and still access the spare etc.

Good point, but I'm not going to be moving it elsewhere.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It is a mdf box, but a specific shape mounted to the folding rear seat. So I can still fold down the other and still access the spare etc.

Good point, but I'm not going to be moving it elsewhere.
Very possible that if there’s a lower frequency cancellation occurring due to subwoofer placement, the polyfill could be boosting response noticeably yet yielding moot improvement in the listening position. Again, shooting in the dark but the 2nd from the top tier JL subwoofer should likely have a fuller low end, especially with cabin gain.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I was nearly at full level at 20hz in the Subaru, was a sweet deal. Similar box in there.

I'm sure it's vehicle response, was just hoping poly fill would help me out.

·
Registered
565 Posts
There’s reasonable enough evidence that polyester filling is ineffective in “tricking” the subwoofer.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah I was nearly at full level at 20hz in the Subaru, was a sweet deal. Similar box in there.

I'm sure it's vehicle response, was just hoping poly fill would help me out.
My heart goes out to you my friend. I cut the floor of my suv and put a UM12 in the hole to get stout response to ~20hz I couldn’t live without the extension.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That sucks, now I’m beginning to think all my polyfill attempts were just placebo. I always thought the bass would sound tighter and less boomy - I’m not even sure if that’s what making an enclosure seem larger actually does...

·
Registered
497 Posts
That sucks, now I’m beginning to think all my polyfill attempts were just placebo. I always thought the bass would sound tighter and less boomy - I’m not even sure if that’s what making an enclosure seem larger actually does...
If your subjective response was better after making a change (and only cost a cheap bag of pillow stuffing) I'd call that a win!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My heart goes out to you my friend. I cut the floor of my suv and put a UM12 in the hole to get stout response to ~20hz I couldn’t live without the extension.

Ah, could certainly be worse. I'm not missing any super lf response after eq tbh.

The poly fill was more of an experiment, first to see what the difference was in Rew.. surprised with the lack of change though.

We'll see how it sounds this short week, hopefully I notice a difference in impact/tightness. I still have a very long and frustrating road ahead tuning the system. Never been thrilled with my results tuning my vehicles and I have been going at it for years.

I enjoy a challenge though.. :)

Reactions: Granite

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

View attachment 284177
After looking at that picture again, you've lost 2-4 db at those peaks at 38ish hz, 46 hz, and 55ish hz, and gained a tiny amount on the very low end, 22-23 hz. It's got to be less boomy.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
After looking at that picture again, you've lost 2-4 db at those peaks at 38ish hz, 46 hz, and 55ish hz, and gained a tiny amount on the very low end.
And similar around 80Hz but worse...

I am not sure that 5 different measurements would be repeatable... we would need to understand that before knowing whether that small differences is real or just noise.
There is not a lot in it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts