DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Looks to me that the poly fill graph will sound much smoother - also doesn’t the density of the poly fill make a difference? Aka Angel hair being much finer than Dacron for instance...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Right, like I said earlier I discounted the differences as measurement variances.

I could do the same measurements again and again and get similar variances. I don't think there is much there that is really changed. Fwiw the 2nd one did have significantly more averages.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Maybe I'll do some more measurements, but the damn t-nuts keep getting pushed out into the box at reassembly, really f'ing frustrating lol...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have some ocd tendencies... Lol

Something tells me I'll be doing the measurements again tomorrow while attempting better control, resolution etc..

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Right, like I said earlier I discounted the differences as measurement variances.

I could do the same measurements again and again and get similar variances. I don't think there is much there that is really changed. Fwiw the 2nd one did have significantly more averages.
How many averages between them?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
There's the difference.
Depends on how many - but after a certain amount I am sure it won’t make a massive difference - I would say the ambient temp would have made more of a difference - if the first measurement was say in the morning and the other at lunch time the car could be hotter inside which affects the frequency response..?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Depends on how many - but after a certain amount I am sure it won’t make a massive difference - I would say the ambient temp would have made more of a difference - if the first measurement was say in the morning and the other at lunch time the car could be hotter inside which affects the frequency response..?

Usually above 50 averages things quit moving around, I'm guessing the first measurement was considerably less than 50.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
First pic was like 35avgs and 2nd was like 80 iirc, they were only about a half hour apart.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Dunno, I'll get better data tomorrow. :D

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
1.25 cu ft is Jl's suggested size for the v2. I read some posts about people liking them in slightly larger boxes, and figured I'd put the max suggested amount of poly fill in to see what changed.

Shrug, no big deal. I'll have to give it a listen too to see how it sounds.
I have used several JL W6v2’s (13, 12, & 10’s). They all sounded much better in larger enclosures, there was a definite improvement in low extension. My 13W6v2 was one of my favorite subs, wished I kept that one.

Reactions: bnae38

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I have used several JL W6v2’s (13, 12, & 10’s). They all sounded much better in larger enclosures, there was a definite improvement in low extension. My 13W6v2 was one of my favorite subs, wished I kept that one.
Somehow I prefer the W7... haven’t liked any of the cars that had the W6’s

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Does density of the fill matter? As many use roof insulation which comes in different densities

The Mundorf Angel hair is extremely fine... there is numerous tests done on this product and all have shown an improvement....

Also dependent on quantity used...

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
A bit too much to really explain here, but a great source of info including better materials, techniques, and which sub/box combos are more affected, read the applicable section in the LDC.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
...wait until your polyfill is broken in!
Still waiting for my speaker wiring to break in, figure things will smooth out once that settles in too.

🤨
:poop:

Reactions: ILX Cheeta

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'm out of super glue atm, will have more tomorrow. Thinking I'll circle back to redoing measurements later, don't feel like pissing myself off to no end pushing the t-nuts off in box today.

I have my car on jackstands with the wheel wells off anyway, deadening them with second skin spectrum, lots to do... ****ing hate road noise!

Reactions: ILX Cheeta

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
How does the subwoofer model with a slightly larger enclosure? I’m just shooting in the dark but isn’t the W6 a small enclosure sub? Perhaps the 1.3cf is already fairly large and going slightly bigger as the polyester mimics isn’t that big of a change?
Bingo! Polyfill is only going to make a noticeable difference if the enclosure is undersized.

Bnae38,

Try adding about 10 paver bricks inside the enclosure to reduce volume to around 1.0cuft. Measure. Then add polyfill and remeasure. You should then see more of a noticeable difference.

Ge0

21 - 40 of 58 Posts