DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a 1.25 ft^3 sealed box for my Arc Audio Arc12 sub, and I plan on using some polyfill to stuff the box.

I bought a one pound bag of acousta-stuf and when I put it inside the box it doesnt even come close to actually "stuffing" the box. It all just sits in a lump on the bottom of the box.

Should I spread it out evenly and glue it to the sides of the box or will it make any difference if it is just loose and on the bottom inside the box?

thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would your goal be ?

Does this make the sound change at all ?
My goal is to make it sound good, Duh! :p

I read a review on this sub that said it performed best in a 1.25ft^3 box sutffed with polyfill. So, I emailed Arc before I built the box and asked them about the size and the polyfill, and they told me that 1.25ft^3 & poly was "just about perfect".

So I just want to know if it matters if the poly is just lying the bottom of the box or should it be distributed evenly and glued in place!?

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
yeah , try something

Do you know how to fluff it up ?

You are trying to change the box from adiabatic to isothermic ;)

Play some music [ rap ]and listen to the sound :confused:

Does it sound better or worse , add some more , remove it , etc..,

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
It doesn't matter where it is.

As long as it doesn't get into the pole vent you're good....and you'd have to poke in with your finger....or other object.;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
i prefer the "fluff" method as somewhat mentioned above- just slightly pull it in all directions just to make the mass of stuffing appear larger- then put it in the box.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i prefer the "fluff" method as somewhat mentioned above- just slightly pull it in all directions just to make the mass of stuffing appear larger- then put it in the box.
It did exactly that. I spent about 20 minutes pulling all the fibers and stretching it out until it was much bigger than the box, then I sprayed a bit of 3M adhesive inside around the top and back of the box then stuffed the poly inside. It totally filled up the box and with the glue it shouldnt fall down into a pile over time.

BTW, the sub sounds great. Nice, tight low end and not "boomy" at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like you are good to go then. You shouldn't need to "stuff" it, just loosely fill it like you described. I would just leave it as is.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any difference between fiberglass insualtion and polyfil? I've only used FG inuslation, never messed around with polyfil.
Yes, very real differences. The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook does the best job I've seen yet of showing the differences. Regular Wal-Mart polyfill is generally the worst damping material, 1lb or 4lb fiberglass is much better.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Yes, very real differences. The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook does the best job I've seen yet of showing the differences. Regular Wal-Mart polyfill is generally the worst damping material, 1lb or 4lb fiberglass is much better.
what about acoustic open celled foam?

·
Registered
81 Posts
what about acoustic open celled foam?
It's better than plain dacron polyfill, but you almost certainly need more than a 1" lining on the walls. What the book shows is that a combination of foam and R19 1lb fiberglass works very well, as does a combination of acousta-stuff and fiberglass, or foam and acousta-stuff. But R19 being by far the cheapest, use it in combination with foam.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Good to hear...I'll be starting on some new enclosures today and I'll probably take your advice and stuff them as well as line them with foam. How would I ensure that the stuff doesn't get into the pole vent?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good to hear...I'll be starting on some new enclosures today and I'll probably take your advice and stuff them as well as line them with foam. How would I ensure that the stuff doesn't get into the pole vent?
Some long staples to hold stuff in place, and/or hot glue a piece of panty hose over the pole vent.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Some long staples to hold stuff in place, and/or hot glue a piece of panty hose over the pole vent.
Go figure that you'd be trying to get other guys to use panty hose. You better hope Heather doesn't find out. LOL!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I didn't think that the stuffing getting into the pole vent was that big of a thing to worry about? Unless you shove it into the pole vent on purpose I don't know that I've ever heard of it just getting in there by itself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go figure that you'd be trying to get other guys to use panty hose. You better hope Heather doesn't find out. LOL!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I didn't think that the stuffing getting into the pole vent was that big of a thing to worry about? Unless you shove it into the pole vent on purpose I don't know that I've ever heard of it just getting in there by itself.
I'd have suggested you offer up some hose, but I know you only wear fishnet.

It's not really a problem, but if somebody thinks it is that'll give you a warm fuzzy feeling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts