DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would there be an acoustical benefit to adding polyfill to the front doors of a Neon that have been "sealed" up?

I installed some 8s recently but the mid bass sounds a bit off... maybe hollow? Its hard to describe.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
What kind of midbass did you use ?? That might be your first indication of problem..

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crescendo PWX 8"currently being pushed by a NVX JAD800.4. They should be getting over 125rms. I'm using a Dayton DSP with the 8s bandpassed between 80-300.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The only thing I see a problem with them, is that these drivers are made to okay hi up, to keep up with spl duty. I never heard them in person but I know Erick Stevens MB8 you can't be beat :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry but you're saying these speakers are better suited for mid range, vocals and such? their not so good for midbass?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
They are more of a high output mid-range. Not mid bass. Post a link here to these drivers so we know what we are looking at exactly.. thank you

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your response kinda puts me in the dumps to be honest as I specifically bought these for mid bass purposes. I noticed some reviews where people praised the mid bass response.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't get me wrong, I want to know the truth of things... just being real.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Sorry to tell you but quickaudi07 is right. Pro audio drivers are meant for large venues and need to play loud more than they play deep. As a matter of fact, I have a pair of pro audio inspired speakers at home with a high-sensitivity horn loaded compression driver. My speaker has a pair of 12” midranges just to try to keep up with the horn loaded driver and my 12s barely play below 80 Hz. But damn if they won’t get loud with crystal clear detail. But I digress.

Notice the comments about midbass were also with enclosures whereas you have a leaky door, even if that door is sealed pretty well as you seemed to have done a nice job there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so are you saying if they had more power they would perform better? I could bridge my amp to give them more power.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
No. I think the issue is they want a sealed enclosure to get the midbass and without it, they are just midrange speakers. And even with a sealed enclosure I don’t know if they would have enough midbass for you. I’ve heard good things about the Stevens MB8 and I believe they are fairly economical. Eric Stevens founded and used to own Image Dynamics just in case you’re worried you haven’t heard of him before. Hopefully you’ve heard of Image Dynamics but if not, they were a really good speaker and sub company back in the day when Eric owned it.

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
sorry but you're saying these speakers are better suited for mid range, vocals and such? their not so good for midbass?
It is and he is correct

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
No. I think the issue is they want a sealed enclosure to get the midbass and without it, they are just midrange speakers. And even with a sealed enclosure I don’t know if they would have enough midbass for you. I’ve heard good things about the Stevens MB8 and I believe they are fairly economical. Eric Stevens founded and used to own Image Dynamics just in case you’re worried you haven’t heard of him before. Hopefully you’ve heard of Image Dynamics but if not, they were a really good speaker and sub company back in the day when Eric owned it.
Most pro audio ones want ported

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to add, polyfill in the doors would absorb water and become smelly and mouldy, so even if the driver wasn't the problem it would still be a bad idea...
I would put it in a sealed bag to keep it dry.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
As noted, those drivers are out there to be loud, not really good at midbass. Even as an 8" driver, I would doubt they play to 80hz even though you have them as a passband from the dsp. I would do a search here under 8" midbass drivers. Several good ones. I would even say there are some notable 6.5" midbass drivers discussed here that would do do significantly better than the ones you currently have.

I would not place polyfill in your door. I will absorb water and you could end up with a much larger mess like rust inside the door panel.

What is your true mounting depth? Some of the really good midbasses that people may point you to might require some mounting depth.

Something like this, would put a do very well in the midbass region but the rest of the door needs to be treated correcly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As noted, those drivers are out there to be loud, not really good at midbass. Even as an 8" driver, I would doubt they play to 80hz even though you have them as a passband from the dsp. I would do a search here under 8" midbass drivers. Several good ones. I would even say there are some notable 6.5" midbass drivers discussed here that would do do significantly better than the ones you currently have.

I would not place polyfill in your door. I will absorb water and you could end up with a much larger mess like rust inside the door panel.

What is your true mounting depth? Some of the really good midbasses that people may point you to might require some mounting depth.

Something like this, would put a do very well in the midbass region but the rest of the door needs to be treated correcly.
3 3/4" depth.

Concerning sound treatment,
Did you notice my pic of the door? Or are you referring to adding a MLV/CCF layer over everything?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts