DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Heres a simple article showing a slight difference in fc as well as it smoothing out some distortion.
https://data-bass.com/data?page=content&id=79

But really system design comes first. It's not insanely good at shaping frequency response. It wont turn a poorly designed setup into a good one.

It doesn't significantly slow down or reflect waves in any way that affects the properties of the enclosure. It mediates pressure effects by mediating temperature changes that come along with them. But even in this respect the effect can only be used as an aid to enclosure design rather than a dictating it.

·
Premium Member
4,107 Posts
this thread has me so confused...when the hell did polyfill become a conversation about heat dissipation?

Everytime I hear people talk about polyfill its seems like BS for a lot of reasons. But in the more sane conclusions its to breakup the soundwave coming from the back of the cone from echoing or reverberating off the cone causing efficiency loss and cone breakup/intelligibility issues.

food for thought...anechoic chambers, least the ones I have seen are not stuffed floor to ceiling with polyfill. In fact I've never seen polyfill used in a anechoic chamber. But then again material science has come a long way...what we used in the past for speakers may not be needed anymore because we surpased it with stiffer enclosure design, better foams and other things that solve the issues polyfill was once used for.
Just because people may not understand does not mean that it may do some good.
Sort of like how the sun comes up every morning, whether one has a flat earth or a chariot to drag the sun around the earth daily. Whether we understand it or not has no impact on reality.

But polyfill does seem to have a magical element associated to it.

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Informative thread. I've always stuffed sub enclosures with 3M Thinsulate acoustic insulation. 3M says it contains micro fibers that absorb acoustic energy.

all the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

61 - 63 of 63 Posts