DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Just fired up my system for the first time and I am very stuck at the moment.
The sound from the mids and tweeters is crap very tinny. I have tried tuning it with the head unit and the amp but just sounds the same. Its like the mids have no mid just highs. My system consists of :
Alpine cda-7998r head unit.
μ-Dimension pro-7.2x amp.
Genesis profile 16.02 Mids and tweeters.

Any ideas would be of great help as this is my first project.

Regards.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would first doublecheck all processing and filtering starting with the Alpine. That deck has a lot of great features on it that could be set incorrectly.

First turn off all crossovers (except for your tweeters, if those are actively crossed). Then start from there. You should be able to play full range through your mids when all processing is deactivated.

It really sounds like you have a crossover set too high, or possibly two crossover systems in the same signal path creating an extremely steep slope.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi I thought that it must be crossover setting but I set the head unit to flat and the amp to flat and used just the crossover that came with the speakers but still the same I will double check tomorrow just to be sure. I think I may be something simple but am lost at the moment.

thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
In that case you could have a mid out of phase, try flipping the speaker cables over to one of the mids.

Gav

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had the same problem with the same hu that you are using. Mine the prob is the Front preout from hu, when i switch rca to preout Rear, the prob gone! You may try to see the findings first.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Are the doors sealed? Assuming thats where you have mounted your midbass.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all thanks.

I have checked all wiring a couple of times, changed crossover. wired some external speakers. I am pretty sure it's the settings in the head unit, i had a play with the eq,crossover and now much better got hi's and midrange but no bass or sub range? On the chassis of the head unit there is a switch for 2 way and 3 way. I am thinking that i should have it on two way insted of three way. I am running mid's and tweeters with the crossover that came with them from one amp. the other amp run's the sub. All settings on the headunit are now set at default.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The 2 way - 3 way switch is your problem. If you are using a passive crossover for the components, switch it to 2 way. If you are running the components active it needs to be 3 way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi.
Well, the two way switch sorted the front mid and tweeters out But not the sub?
There is sound coming out but very quiet. Have tried different pre-outs, rewired, and even a different amp still the same? I am a bit lost now I suppose it must be settings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts