DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Long time lurker, first post though.

Have a 2014 Porsche 911 (991.1 for the Porsche geeks) with the stock "sound package plus" which has; tweeters in the dash and 4" in the doors run off the the HU, 4" coax in the rear qtr again on HU, a center speaker, finally 8" in the doors run off a small amp under my driver's seat (UK car so RHD).

Plan is to make a fully plug n play system that hooks up to the factory connectors, mountings, and uses the Porsche "pcm" HU. Want to use a DSP which will most likely be a mosconi D2 80.6 DSP so I can make the front 3 ways active.

Initially plan to upgrade the tweeters with dynaudio MD 102 but leave the stock door speakers and see how it works. Can look at the response in REW and see how we get on.

Looking forward to sharing the project and getting some constructive feedback. I've not touched car audio in 20 years, but am a sound engineer by trade (although more in vision these days) so be good to dust down some dormant brain cells and memories.

Muu

·
Registered
734 Posts
put a set of dyna system 272 in there and be done with it. install a dsp amp as well

·
Registered
734 Posts
my bad, i meant the 362, the 3 way

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So one challenge with the MD142 mid is it's slightly too big for the cup in the 9x1 door panels, the E430 works but blows budgets

·
Registered
734 Posts
i have e430 in all my cars. i would be surprised if you couldn't fit the 142

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so it comes in a bucket which is just a smidge too wide for the plastic door cup thing, maybe they can be stripped down like the MD102.

Which tweeter you running the in the 991?

·
Registered
734 Posts
so it comes in a bucket which is just a smidge too wide for the plastic door cup thing, maybe they can be stripped down like the MD102.

Which tweeter you running the in the 991?
esotar tweeter in custom pillars. mid and mid bass in doors, all esotar

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ah nice, I'm not as quite into it as that so looking to put my tweeters in the burmester location on some 3D printed mounts with OEM grilles over the top.

In the doors would like to keep it to bolt on options, so MW172 looks good but might mean busting budget on a e430 mid-range or see if the 142 can be released from its cap

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bought a umik-1 today to model the car, and the md102 with some protection caps (10μF). Going to sort the tweeters and amp first, and muse on the doors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Quick play with it tonight, couldn't run it too loud on the driveway at 11pm but collected this with the UMIK-1 at the headrest position with pink noise and 16 sample average, the graph has 1/12 smoothing. Going to need to create a test CD, or load them onto a card into a HU to get something approaching flat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So removed the seat to check out the amp, if my connectors will work (input yes, output needs tangs clipping out), and the space i have to deal with.

Looks like i won't be able to use the usual mosconi 60.8 due to my car having a factory tracking module taking up space and it's affixed with snap off security screws.

So I'm going to need to go down the class D route and musing on either the audison 8.9 (35w + 35w + 130w three way active) or a more petite mosconi D2 80.6 (running 80w all round).

Some pictures:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I've modelled the stripped down MD102

And created a 2 part clam to hold them left and right:

Was running on 3D printer batch over the weekend, should be posted today and I'll have them later in the week.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Critical bit of the build is this little VAG connector, means I can steal the input from the stock amp without cutting into looms. Pins I'm crimping with a PA-20 and as the max gauge the pins will take is 0.5mm2 over got to make my own input leads after desoldering the Gladen cables.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice job on the tweeter mounts. They look like the Musicar NW ones, but way more gratifying to make them yourself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice job on the tweeter mounts. They look like the Musicar NW ones, but way more gratifying to make them yourself.
Yeah no doubt they did a decent job, but as I don't have a router and didn't want to make any lasting changes to the dynaudio I went the 3D printed route.

Been a busy day, testing the HU output required the half of the loom that plugs to the car:

I then fed various signals from the usb Jukebox to see what shape the output had, and interestingly the HU can be turned to max (it doesn't graphically show volume) and it stays clean. So I'll set my down stream gains with it on high to ensure a good structure.

The little mosconi is a good fit, just need to finalise in my head how I'll secure it. Probably with a plate on the OE bolts as it fits within the placement nicely.

So now have the amp IO looms made up. Next is mounting and power, with dedicated runs to the tweeters (currently they're shared with the midbass in the doors), but basically it's:
Chan 1&2 - new tweeters in dash
Chan 3&4 - factory mids in doors
Chan 5&6 - factory 8" in doors

1 - 20 of 21 Posts