DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not to the doors, no. Although Porsche are pretty generous here. Tweeters get fresh runs to break them away from the mids in the active setup.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Critical bit of the build is this little VAG connector, means I can steal the input from the stock amp without cutting into looms. Pins I'm crimping with a PA-20 and as the max gauge the pins will take is 0.5mm2 over got to make my own input leads after desoldering the Gladen cables.

View attachment 261675
You can get a repair wire for every harness in a VW product. It might take some digging, but they are available. I do this in every VW product I've ever owned. Super easy to go back to stock too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah I'm all good there, plug and play to the OEM amp input connector

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is a fantastic build, I'm considering the Audison 8.9 for my Panamera build I'm trying to map out.
If you go this route, I'd strongly recommend going for the AP F8.9 (Forza). It's only a couple hundred dollars more, but with twice the power. I have both the standard AP8.9 and the AP F8.9 in two cars, and they're both great, but that extra power is really nice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah the 8.9 and it's bigger brother the F8.9 were contenders here, but they seemed to be more geared to dealers with their fancy audison flying saucer mic tuning. In some ways the mosconi UI is more basic, but really it's pretty powerful when coupled with something like REW.

If I was doing a Panamera where the amps are in the boot (I think) I'd go dynaudio 3 way up front running active on a dedicated processor so i could use an array of amps to cover the various drivers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah the 8.9 and it's bigger brother the F8.9 were contenders here, but they seemed to be more geared to dealers with their fancy audison flying saucer mic tuning. In some ways the mosconi UI is more basic, but really it's pretty powerful when coupled with something like REW.

If I was doing a Panamera where the amps are in the boot (I think) I'd go dynaudio 3 way up front running active on a dedicated processor so i could use an array of amps to cover the various drivers.
The simplicity and power of the Audison and Mosconi are important to me but I see your point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah the 8.9 and it's bigger brother the F8.9 were contenders here, but they seemed to be more geared to dealers with their fancy audison flying saucer mic tuning.
Not sure I'd agree with that. I've heard from two different dealers that the Audison Bit Tune has been a disappointment, and doesn't yield great results. Not sure what the first dealer ended up using, but the second dealer simply uses REW with a calibrated microphone. I did the same on my installs.

I'm sure the Mosconi is also great, I've heard good things, I just haven't used it myself to comment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah I can't talk from a place of authority here, just had to make a choice between a 8.9 and a D2 80.6. Looking at the two apps the audison is pretty but the mosconi had all the buttons I'm looking for easy to hand.

This is coming from a background in recording & TV studio builds.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So tonight's work, wanted to make a plate up to mount the mosconi to the factory points. So had some 3mm carbon sheet left over from another project and thought it'd make a good amp carrier.

Bit of time with the bandsaw, edges were then ground to radius them and chamfer the edges:

Drilled and test fitted to the car (it needs the corner cuts to avoid some loom fasteners):

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Amp is in...

Ditto the tweeters:

Behind burmester grilles (much more open and no captive tweeter):

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
What was less fun is the power, so I made this positive loom (gauge calculated for acceptable voltage drop):

The power distribution box is in the passenger footwell which means I needed to run it across the bulkhead, fiddly but they give you conduit to run in.

That box is clearly the same one they use LHD but back to front (notice they have mounts on both sides) but in a RHD car you have to remove it to gain access to the terminals.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts