DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a pair of 15” Ascendant Audio Avalanche. and i want to build a ported box for them to put in my 95 suburban. i have never really understood port design so i have always built sealed boxes. anyway i am building a fiberglass ported box and want to know if someone could give me the port dimensions. they both will have their own space so i would just copy the port to the other side. i am going to invert the subs face up and fire the ports to the rear. i am thinking about 2.5 to 3.0 cubes each. and a kenwood xr-1s for each sub @ 1ohm.

here are the specs for the subs.
Fs 15.7Hz
Qms 3.5
Qes .334
Qts .305
Vas 300.6L
Re 3.2ohms (coils in series)
Znom 4ohms (coils in series)
Xmax 27mm
Sd 748cm^2
Mms 269g
Vd 4.04L
RMS 800w
Le 2.4mH

Mounting info

Cutout Diameter 14.125”
Mounting Depth 7.875”
Diameter 15.5”

also here are some pics so you can get an idea of what i want to do. i will only be building a box for two.
thanks in advance for your help.:D

Picture017.jpg

Picture019.jpg

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok i reading and have found a few calculators but they ask for height and width of the port to get the length. but if i knew what the height and width was i would not need help to get the length. so i do i get the height and width?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
What you need is bass box pro. Lots of options and you just enter how many cubic feet you got and what you want it tuned to and you will get all the answers.
It can go very indepth and even give you cabin gain simulations for the car its going in.
Here it is BassBox Pro.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What you need is bass box pro. Lots of options and you just enter how many cubic feet you got and what you want it tuned to and you will get all the answers.
It can go very indepth and even give you cabin gain simulations for the car its going in.
Here it is BassBox Pro.
i don't make enough boxes for buying a 149$ program to make sense.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
ok i reading and have found a few calculators but they ask for height and width of the port to get the length. but if i knew what the height and width was i would not need help to get the length. so i do i get the height and width?
The height and width of your ports will give you the port area. You can use any port area you like as long as it's big enough to reduce any port noise that might occur. Once you figure out yout port area the calculators tell you how long the port needs to be for your target tuning frequency.

WinISD Pro is free and works fairly easily once you get the hang of entering the parameters. Otherwise just use the calculators on BCAE.com.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok maybe this LinearTeam Its free.
ok update i was working with winisd program and it said

w 30.22 h 44.81 d 20.50
vb 7.988 ft^3
two 4.02x 4.02 ports 5.78 inches long. with a tuning of 35hz.

12 volt's box volume calculator says that its 13.67674 cubic ft.

still confused:confused:

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
wow really?

i did get the port calculation from win isd and i am trying to double check them.
Ok, sorry for the rudeness. I just did the volume math and assuming each side is 3/4" thick, the volume that the 12volt came up with is appropriate. Your working with over 13 ft^3.

Go make sure WinISD isn't in centimeters and try again. If you can't make it come up with the proper volume, just manually enter 13.67 cubic ft. where it says volume.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Question: If yout building a fiberglass enclosure like the one you pictured above, where did you get the measuents from? The only accurate way to measure an asymmetric enclosure is to fill it with something like sand or packing peanuts and then measure the amount of material it took to fill it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question: If yout building a fiberglass enclosure like the one you pictured above, where did you get the measuents from? The only accurate way to measure an asymmetric enclosure is to fill it with something like sand or packing peanuts and then measure the amount of material it took to fill it.
i use the recommended volume size of the sub and use the box size i get from the 12 volt calc. and build a frame and glass from that.

i could not really follow winisd that's why i was asking for help. i think figured the issue i did not fix the wood thickness to inches.

had you not said it would not have caught on.

and i think i am suppose to set the boxes volume?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have built a lot of sealed subs and once i get the frame size i can eye ball it well. i get a lil shaky because i have never built a port box. mostly the fear of the unknown.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
I always manually set my box volume. I've never even used the calculator for that.

The best thing you can do with WinISD is play around with it. You can learn alot.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it was looking like gibberish to me. i thought you put in the subs numbers and the program did the rest. it took me a few hours to find out how to change things from metric to standard.:dunce:

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
it was looking like gibberish to me. i thought you put in the subs numbers and the program did the rest. it took me a few hours to find out how to change things from metric to standard.:dunce:
Lol, it took me months before I realized you could just click on the units to change em! It's so simple and there I was using a phone app to help me convert everything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts