DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is a good place for it...if not mods please move it.

Here's a box I drafted up in CAD real quick according to Alpine's recommendations. The woofer is a SWR-1043D dual 4 ohm. I have 2 so I was just gonna mirror the design to accommodate the 2nd woofer. With the design I could extend the port much farther along the back of the box to change the frequency. (It's tuned to 35Hz right now, per Alpine's rec.)

I just checked the volume and it's 1.25 ft^3 gross and 1.14 ft^3 without the woofer and will be 1.06 ft^3 with the woofer. Someone at Alpine can't math good. LOL Anyways...

Does this port look like it'll work? I will widen/deepen the box to get ~1.4-1.5 ft^3 as suggested. And the line the leader is pointing to it how I calculated the port length. I also have a sealed box drafted up, but it's not nearly as fun looking! Glad to see all that school going to good use!!

Let me know everyone's input!!! Thanks!!

EDIT: The linestyles didn't show up on the pdf! It looks WAYYY better on the screen. AutoCAD FTL!!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've heard many enclosures with ports like that (many of them built by me), and they sounded fine. I know some people like to round the corners (all of them) - I have tried rounded and not, and there really was no noticeable difference. I say build it and listen to it to see if you like it. If you don't like the sound, try a different design. It would give you another DIY project!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Angling and rounding the edges will become more important the more bends there are. Air can be modeled as a fluid and as such is subject to laminar and turbulent flow. Sharp corners reduce head of the flow and create turbulent flow, reducing the ability of air to flow in and out of the box, this is why rounding can be important.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'll run the Reynolds, Froude and other numbers to see how turbulent airflow around corners can be.

Anyone know if PTC PRO/Engineer can/will model this??

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
L-slot ports are just fine, but as others have said, you will want to make the corners more fluid. instead of a hard 90° corner make it 2 45° turns, sanding the edges to round them off will help even more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts