DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am planning on getting a jbl w10gti mkii and there box recomendations say 1.75 ft^3 with a single 3 inch port.
My worry is that this will not be a large enough port and i will get port noise.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
454 Posts
What kind of power are you going to give it? Their spec boxes are normally pretty spot on size wise, but I think their ports tend to be a tad small. Use WINISD or something similar and play with port type and size, paying attention to response and port velocity.

I'm pondering the same sub, so I will be keeping my eyes on this thread as well to see if anyone with experience with the wgti subs chimes in.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't have experience with that woofer but, have experience building boxes. based on wattage alone your chances of port noise is a slim factor. However, I'd recommend going with a flared 3 over a straight 3. You might want to consider using 2 2" ports instead as well. This is based on my experience with single woofer set ups and similair power.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I would not use 3" ports at all. 4" or 6" and get the flared kind. model it in winISd and you will see what kind of port velocity you will get. anything over 100ft/sec and you WILL get port noise and port compression. neither are a good thing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not use 3" ports at all. 4" or 6" and get the flared kind. model it in winISd and you will see what kind of port velocity you will get. anything over 100ft/sec and you WILL get port noise and port compression. neither are a good thing.
Thanks, but what if I use 2 3" ports would you still not recommend three inch ports? 2 3" ports is bigger than 1 4" port.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
2 of them would be fine, what you want to look at is port area. if the port area is too small then you will get a high port velocity. 2 smaller diameter ports do tend to be longer than a single larger diameter port though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts