DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, posted this over in the "Choose your equipment" section with not a lot of replies. Hoping for more input as I'm clueless when it comes to building a ported enclosure.

Vehicle - Dodge Ram CC 2011
Subwoofer - Image Dynamics IDQ V3 12" Dual 4 ohm delivering a 2 ohm load to
Amp - JL Audio 500/1 - I am thinking of upgrading to more power in the future...possibly

Factory head unit, JBL MS8.

I threw together a quick little sealed box for my truck last month, pics below.

From IDQ's site, they recommend .9ft3 for sealed and 1.25 for ported.

I'm guessing I have right around the 1ft3 mark where I'm at right now.

I'm thinking of utilizing both storage areas for a ported enclosure. I think that would yield 1.25-1.5ft3...which should be enough.

I'd have the port come out the front of the box, on the opposite side of the sub, facing the back of the front seat...explained in the rough diagram below

So....Is such a thing even possible? Worthwhile?

Or am I better off building a better sealed box at 1f3 or 1.5 ft3.

Basically what's my best option here

Sealed @ 1ft3
Sealed @ 1.5 ft3
Ported @ 1.5 ft3

Thanks

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
first,

from what i can see

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20536_Image-Dynamics-IDQ12-V.3-D4.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle

your sub can deal with 750 wrms, your giving it maybe 400 clean watts, after that the closer you get to 500 will include some distortion and general amp strain.

if you had a 1000 watt amp, you could give your sub all the 750 it wants, and 150 watts before your amp starts to struggle, 750 clean watts.

what dont you like about the way your bass is performing right now in the sealed box? (im guessing just when its loud enough to really bump, and you want just a bit more everything starts to sound bad) ?? a bigger amp would fix this.

have you tried flipping the phase. ?

if you port that same driver, with the same amp, you'll get about 16% more lows.

not a lot. is it worth the effort?

if the pinched area half way across the box (by where the speaker wires connect) is bigger then your port, id say go ahead and try the ported box.

if the pinched area is smaller then your port id say that is going to throw the performance of the box/port waaaaayyyyyyyyy off.

or just get a bigger amp and leave the box sealed.

or/and try putting some 2x4 scraps in your sealed box to make the internal volume less, doing that will effect the sound/performance.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first,

from what i can see

Image Dynamics IDQ12 V.3 D4 (IDQ12-V3D4) 12" Dual 4 ohm IDQ V.3 Sub

your sub can deal with 750 wrms, your giving it maybe 400 clean watts, after that the closer you get to 500 will include some distortion and general amp strain.

if you had a 1000 watt amp, you could give your sub all the 750 it wants, and 150 watts before your amp starts to struggle, 750 clean watts.

what dont you like about the way your bass is performing right now in the sealed box? (im guessing just when its loud enough to really bump, and you want just a bit more everything starts to sound bad) ?? a bigger amp would fix this.

have you tried flipping the phase. ?

if you port that same driver, with the same amp, you'll get about 16% more lows.

not a lot. is it worth the effort?

if the pinched area half way across the box (by where the speaker wires connect) is bigger then your port, id say go ahead and try the ported box.

if the pinched area is smaller then your port id say that is going to throw the performance of the box/port waaaaayyyyyyyyy off.

or just get a bigger amp and leave the box sealed.

or/and try putting some 2x4 scraps in your sealed box to make the internal volume less, doing that will effect the sound/performance.
Wow yeah you nailed it. Sub sounds great but when I want a little more it starts to get alittle mushy. I thought that somehow my box was choking the sub at higher levels somehow.

The JL amp I bought was a used cheapie for this very reason, I wasnt sure how 500 watts was supposed to sound. Obviously Ill need a little more.

Thanks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the interest of NOT making another thread, do you think the Alpine M12 or JL HD1200/1 would be too much (1200rms), of course being conservative on the gain (<50%), or would I notice a big enough difference with a HD750-1.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
In the interest of NOT making another thread, do you think the Alpine M12 or JL HD1200/1 would be too much (1200rms), of course being conservative on the gain (<50%), or would I notice a big enough difference with a HD750-1.
i run 1500 watts on my 750 watt subwoofer, its no problem, you just have to be sensible. if and when it sounds like the sub is getting tooooo much power, turn it down 5%,

but in general, the sub (and you) is very happy, because its getting clean watts and you getting loud and clean bass.

lots of 1000 watt amps available for no too much money, personally id skip the 750 watters.

if you had the choice between 250 horse power or 300, which would you choose? you dont have to drive fast and hard all the time, but its nice to have the power there when you want it :)

this is an interesting video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNIvlXA8CxM

·
Registered
448 Posts
the hd1200.1 would be an excellent choice! i used a rockford t1500-1 to one idq12v3 you just have to set the gains right. headroom is your best friend.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I don't know if I can spend 1k on a sub amp tho...I'm gonna look into the PDX M12's which are available for $500-$600.
lots of good 1000 watt amps for sale used for $200-$400 on the www.

scratch and dent is your friend (or the good deals section) ?

make a cash offer on this, you wont be sorry

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/114733-genesis-profile-sub-ultra.html

http://www.extremeaudio.co.uk/products/genesis-profile-sub-ultra/99/

or put a WTB add in the classifieds,

WTB 1000 watt sub amp have $350.

i bet you get 10 offers in 2 days, pick the best one :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bumping this back up for more help.

I asked around a bit regarding sub amps, and I got mixed replies, including one that a more powerful amp isn't going to help me, only adding another sub.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/system-design-help-me-choose-equipment-my-car/115037-jl-audio-hd1200-1-a.html

I personally think a more powerful amp would play cleaner at my required levels, the JL 500/1 seems to be a bit overmatched at my comfortable listening levels.

Also the bass boost on the JL sounds like crap? Not having a lot of experience with it, but it adds a bit of volume/thump but mostly sloppy distortion. I'd like to keep the bass boost at minimum and just play with the gain.

I dunno about my enclosure. I don't know if it's because it's facing up off the bottom of the seat or what, but I'm really dissapointed with the IDQ. The bass is loud but mushy, not punchy and hard hitting like I'd like.

I currently have it crossed over @ 80hz/12db. I'm going to build a 1ft3 enclosure out of ply to see if it truly is my enclosure or just the sub combination.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bumping this back up for more help.

I asked around a bit regarding sub amps, and I got mixed replies, including one that a more powerful amp isn't going to help me, only adding another sub.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/system-design-help-me-choose-equipment-my-car/115037-jl-audio-hd1200-1-a.html

I personally think a more powerful amp would play cleaner at my required levels, the JL 500/1 seems to be a bit overmatched at my comfortable listening levels.

Also the bass boost on the JL sounds like crap? Not having a lot of experience with it, but it adds a bit of volume/thump but mostly sloppy distortion. I'd like to keep the bass boost at minimum and just play with the gain.

I dunno about my enclosure. I don't know if it's because it's facing up off the bottom of the seat or what, but I'm really dissapointed with the IDQ. The bass is loud but mushy, not punchy and hard hitting like I'd like.

I currently have it crossed over @ 80hz/12db. I'm going to build a 1ft3 enclosure out of ply to see if it truly is my enclosure or just the sub combination.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I did some measuring last night and if I redid the box to the whole length of the cabin, I would have ~1.8ft2 for volume. I think that's enough to justify purchasing another IDQ.

edit: I messed around with the MS8 and I think the biggest issue was the MS8 was muting the sub signal. I still have to redo the box though. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts