DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to make a box for my fi q 18, and the first was unsuccessful.. theres limited space in my trunk, and I have a few questions about ported box construction... First of all this is not my first ported box, its my 5th, all of which have came out very nice, loud and sounded good as well. The problem with this build is I had to build it inside the car because it was too large to bring into the car after it was built. (still sounds like crap and I think there's air leaks I cannot get to)

Anyway Im going for a rebuild next weekend or so.. but I was wondering if when calculating the inner area if the port is included or not cause it would make a big difference.

Also Im not able to make a box as big as the reccommended size by FI, and by estimate it is about 5 cubes.. would this do serious damage to sound? I really want to stick with ported.

HELP PLEASE!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I guess Im going to go fiberglass to get the most volume out of the box... but still havent heard from anyone on the topic!

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Im trying to make a box for my fi q 18, and the first was unsuccessful.. theres limited space in my trunk, and I have a few questions about ported box construction... First of all this is not my first ported box, its my 5th, all of which have came out very nice, loud and sounded good as well. The problem with this build is I had to build it inside the car because it was too large to bring into the car after it was built. (still sounds like crap and I think there's air leaks I cannot get to)

Anyway Im going for a rebuild next weekend or so.. but I was wondering if when calculating the inner area if the port is included or not cause it would make a big difference.

Also Im not able to make a box as big as the reccommended size by FI, and by estimate it is about 5 cubes.. would this do serious damage to sound? I really want to stick with ported.

HELP PLEASE!!
Put the port outside the box, otherwise ... displacement from the port and sub must be taken into account.

Sealed can be made by someone with six pieces of wood and something to hold them together.

Don't think just anyone can build a ported box and it sound good !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put the port outside the box, otherwise ... displacement from the port and sub must be taken into account.

Sealed can be made by someone with six pieces of wood and something to hold them together.

Don't think just anyone can build a ported box and it sound good !
Thanks for the info a$$ I never have knew whether to take out sub and port displacement.

Eh, I dont think ported boxes are all that hard, I've built a few and they all sounded great. The reason this one came out crappy would be the fact I had to build it INSIDE the trunk. I couldnt get to the corners to screw it in right and it ended up leaky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sell the 18, go with 2 x 12 inchers.

easy box build and similar performance.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think i'm gonna stick with the 18. Ill just end up with about 6 cubes instead of 8, but I read somewhere that that should be ok so Im happy with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts