DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been a sealed box kind of guy. Now the sub i am contemplating requires a ported enclosure. I have some questions on what I can and cannot do.

The manufacturer states that with 1.5 cubes I need a port that is 24 inches a the mouth and it must be 22 inches long. So that means that basically I can ahve a 2 inch by 12 inch port opening.. but my question is... can I do 2x12 and make it 11 inches long, but do two of those?

also is there a sonic difference between round ports and rectangle ones? So I can make 1 or two round ports that meet the above math specs?

·
Registered
158 Posts
No, you can't do 2 of them and split the length. If you did 2 of them, it would actually require you make the ports 52" long to achieve the same tuning as 1 of them. Slot ports tend to have less of a problem with port velocity and noise, however if you do a aero port you could do a 4" aero 12.9" long and achieve your goal. The aero ports really help with keeping port noise in check. One question, what kind of sub is going in this box? Why I ask is the tuning the manufacturer recommends is pretty high @ 39hz. 39hz is going to be peaky and kind of a one note wonder. It will get loud, but won't sound the best. If you want a smoother sound, more like a sealed box, while still getting more output from a ported enclosure, you need to tune lower. 33hz is a good compromise on tuning, and would require a 4" aero port 18.8" long.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, dumb question but what is an aero port? how does it differ from just punching a round hole in it and using PVC to get the length I want? Those dimensions are well within my abilities for the box I have so it would be an awesome way to go.

I am looking at the Digital Designs 1012b which is their slim sub. I currently have an Stereo Integrity (the flat one) which does well, plenty loud, but drops off in volume after a certain point, and that is annoying. I heard an 8 DD playing and it really sounded good. I want nice and tight base and it to go down effortlessly. I want it to go way down but still be tight and acurate.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I googled AeroPort got some hits and now have an idea of what it looks like. Where does one buy one? Amazon only had like 7 non were 18 inches long.

also how is it that when the square ports require 2x12x22 you can use a MUCH smaller port to do roughly the same thing.. this must be magic!!! (or math, which is indistinguishable from magic).

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can pick up the aero's from Parts Express. You can buy the flared ends and use pvc for the main part of the port if you want. They are cut to fit anyway. You glue them together after you cut them to length. The aero's work because they smooth out the airflow which reduces the port noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts