DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my Kenwood 2513ps running @ 450 rms from my Brutus, and it really isnt that much while driving. I just installed new 4 gauge wiring, and im installing my new Zeus amp today to get the most out of my speakers. I have my Amp tuned to about 110hz, as i am trying to hit the bass guitar in the the songs i listen to, as my speakers are pretty small. So, since i love SQ and hate that droning bass from ported boxes, will a 2012 Type R running 900rms be enough for me? Or does the Type R have to be ported to really shine? Im fairly new to everything, although i have installed everything cleanly myself.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
if "droning bass" is your idea of a ported box. then you never heard one that was built correctly for SQ. ported box tuned to 50hz for SPL are not the only purpose for them :)

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yeah man you sound like your me and sealed just don't give guys like us what we want. For strong impact you want ported always. Some sealed subs give good impact and still don't suffer to much sealed but the jbl gti subs ported do incredible thongs my friend :) those type r's won't like ported very well but they'll do it. A nice image dynamic idq might do better

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,390 Posts
^^^^ That is a lot of misinformation and speculation
A sealed box can give you GREAT attack and bottom end when done properly, just like a ported box can be EXTREMELY musical and perfect for SQ. Its all in the construction and design, approaching the project with a clear idea of what you want and then asking either an experienced box designer and builder you know or somebody here for the help to get you what you want to achieve.

I would start though by reducing your crossover point down to somewhere in the 80hz range and seeing what happens. We dont know what kind of front stage you are running, whether its active or passive, car, truck, suv.... More info would be beneficial and get you more responses.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
bah, ive never had a sealed setup ive liked completly. im accualy doing sealed on my current build thought but i have high hopes :) i just finished my box, its a 33.5x17x18.5 its a massive freaking box, i braced the hell out of it and its double layered. so perhap's i'll find my opinion changed but either way i don't expect to little impact i'm not really aiming for a very punchy system now a days i like my music a little calmer :p its pretty large for a sealed box but this sub is kind of a special sub :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i drive a 93 corolla DX right now (first car), and all of my equipment info is in the signature below.
Polk 4 in fronts, alpine type s rears, all powered by Hifonics ZRX600.4 installed today.
Also, i am getting a drone when no music is playing and battery is on. Then, high pitched and low drone when i turn the car on, and increases pitch when i step on the gas. I heard this and turned it off immediately, but im not sure if it has to do with grounding or with RCAs and power running too close. Since i have the two amps daisy chained, There is really no way around having the power and RCA be close and some point in the trunk. Hopefully, its the ground, because the one wire is spliced, and the other i might have to sand the paint off of in order to get a better connection. Any advice is appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts