DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thought occurred to me, why not port a trunk baffle? While running subs through winISD looking for a decent infinite baffle (leaky trunk) I've had awesome results with large ported boxes.

The reasoning...
Some major problems with sealed trunk baffles is leaky trunks, low end excursion, and low spl.

My thought process is that a port will reduce pressure to help with leaky trunks (still going to seal as best I can). With low tuned boxes ports reduce cone movement, so that could help prevent bottoming out a in set up. Very large ported boxes are good for spl. So there is that.

Has anyone done this? Am I a genius? Why wouldn't it work? Could it work?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
You ever hear what happens when someones large ported enclosure develops a leak? It ain't pretty... huge response anomalies and different response at different volume levels as the leaks are more or less leaky at different power levels.

For a ported enclosure to work correctly the port has to be the only leak in the box. If you can completely seal the trunk and make it a sealed enclosure except for the port then you've got a wiener and will be the envy of everyone who hears your boom wagon.

Reactions: BrooksBrooks

·
Registered
2014 VW CC Sport
1,657 Posts
You ever hear what happens when someones large ported enclosure develops a leak? It ain't pretty... huge response anomalies and different response at different volume levels as the leaks are more or less leaky at different power levels.

For a ported enclosure to work correctly the port has to be the only leak in the box. If you can completely seal the trunk and make it a sealed enclosure except for the port then you've got a wiener and will be the envy of everyone who hears your boom wagon.
Most all cars have trunk vents. I run a SI IB18 in a sealed trunk baffle with the trunk vents removed. Call it super leaky or ported…. But leaky and low spl ? Not hardly I hit 140db @20hz and it sounds amazing and does hair tricks with ease

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Most all cars have trunk vents. I run a SI IB18 in a sealed trunk baffle with the trunk vents removed. Call it super leaky or ported…. But leaky and low spl ? Not hardly I hit 140db @20hz and it sounds amazing and does hair tricks with ease
I presume he means vented into the cabin as he referred to ported, very different to venting to the exterior of the car, yours lowers the Q, into the car wrecks the response

·
Registered
73 Posts
my setup...

i took the rear deck speakers out and used L brackets to secure my box to my car. sounds super clean and hits hard

Car Hood Trunk Vehicle Automotive exterior

Fixture Personal luxury car Auto part Vehicle Car seat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts