DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
It can be.

Bear in mind that you'll need to add the displacement of the port, driver and any bracing to the specified net cabinet volume in order to determine the needed gross cabinet volume. The port should be of sufficient area to prevent possibly audible port noise at the power applied and/or the desired level of output.

Net cabinet volume, port area and port length are what determines tuned frequency (Fb) of a ported design. The larger the cabinet, the longer the port and/or the lesser the port area, the lower the Fb (and vice versa).

Modeling software such as WinISD helps to determine suitable cabinet volume, port area and length, and tuning frequency (among a number of other factors) for a particular driver and application.

Download WinISD for free: WinISD - Linearteam

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
God point about experimenting with port length to find what sounds best. I forgot to mention that. I'm partial to flared (aero) tubular ports like these Precision Ports at Parts Express: https://www.parts-express.com/search?order=relevance:desc&keywords=Precision Port
I use packing tape in conjunction with the connecting rings to temporarily attach tube pieces together until I settle on a length that sounds best and then glue them together permanently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts