DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across these in my local home depot. It's this kit.

This is a great buy at the $89 listed on the website, but it's $64 in store! The pin-nailer alone goes for close to 100 online.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Awesome deal for enclosure builders out there!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes and no. The max length on the 18g nailer is 1.25, so if you're working with .75 in MDF, that's a little short. Regardless though, this is a great deal if you're on the market for some trim nailers. I'm thinking about picking them up to add to my existing PC trim nailer and stapler.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
yes and no. The max length on the 18g nailer is 1.25, so if you're working with .75 in MDF, that's a little short. Regardless though, this is a great deal if you're on the market for some trim nailers. I'm thinking about picking them up to add to my existing PC trim nailer and stapler.
The only purpose of the nail is to hold the wood while the glue sets. So why wouldn't this work?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
uhhgg, this has been gone over ad nauseum.

If you're building with MDF, air driven nails do not apply a significant enough amount of clamping force to sufficiently bond the wood. If you want to make that situation even worse, use shorter nails ;)

The more nail you get into the meat of the wood, the better chance you have of creating a strong joint.

I usually use 1.5" or 1.75" nails fired at alternating angles into the wood to decrease the probability of the wood separating. Then I clamp the crap out of the box.

So to sum it up, if all you're going to rely on is the nails to hold the box together while the glue dries, you'll def need a gun that can handle a longer nail. If you are just quickly nailing to hold the wood in position before you get your clamps on, then this would work.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
This would also work well for fiberglass framing since you don't need the nails to go that deep into the surround and or baffle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts