DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a Hertz HX250D in a rather big sealed enclosure, close to 28,5 liters. I have filled the box with crap to make it around 18 liters (rec. by hertz) because i had problems with overexcursion, and it helped a lot, but still pops up sometimes when playing loud for a long time.

So i am considering porting the box for some free output. The reasons I am considering this is noticably less excursion at frequencies above the port tuning, roughly 5-10 decibels more output in the critical kick drum area and the fact that the box is just about the perfect size according to hertz and winisd for a ported alignment. Hertz recommends tuning to 40hz while winisd is at 37.12 for the chebyshev alignment, i will be using a 65mm aeroport 190mm long (tuning about 38-39hz).

My question is where i should put the vent, and if it matters if i put it outside the box? And, i play with the sub out through a hole in the rear seats where the arm rest is (it's meant to put skis in here), will i run into phasing issues if i run the port up through the rear deck, firing into the rear window?

Anyone think i should or shouldn't do this?

· Registered
18,888 Posts
So i am considering porting the box for some free output. The reasons I am considering this is noticably less excursion at frequencies above the port tuning, roughly 5-10 decibels more output in the critical kick drum area and the fact that the box is just about the perfect size according to hertz and winisd for a ported alignment. Hertz recommends tuning to 40hz while winisd is at 37.12 for the chebyshev alignment, i will be using a 65mm aeroport 190mm long (tuning about 38-39hz).
Higher tuning frequency is for SPL, lower tuning frequency is for Sound Quality;)

The rear of the sub gets loaded [ the air in the HelmHoltz resonator moves not the sub ].

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.