DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm currently piecing together my first system and I'm just working on planning everything out. The important detail here is that I will be putting two 12" subwoofers in my trunk, probably in a ported enclosure. The car is a 1984 Mercedes 300D, and there is no real access between the interior and my trunk. In fact, the fuel tank sits between them. So I do not have the option of folding the seats down or anything. However, today I realized something. The deck lid has a little bucket type thing in it, where a First Aid kit came in. My first aid kit is long since lost, however, the little bucket for it is still there. The bucket comes out with a few screws, and it opens just above the fuel tank, and about half of it is directly into the trunk. So, my question is, would opening that spot into the trunk improve what I would feel/hear in the cabin? My common sense of non car audio knowledge says yes. But from what I've seen/read so far of subs and bass, it's not necessarily predictable. If there's a good chance it might improve the in cabin bass experience, then I'll look more in to it, and maybe fabricate something to dress it up a bit. But I'd like some expert input first. Thanks!

Edit: Just realized this may be more suited for the general audio question section. My apologies. If a mod sees this and agrees, please move? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Removing the compartment in theory should definitely help. Install your system with it removed and if the bass is too much reinstall it with some form of deadner on it to reduce rattles.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Hey, when another car is sitting next to you at the stoplight and his subwoofer is booming, do you have any trouble hearing his bass? Hmmm...I think the answer is "no". That means the BASS from your sub will make it into your cabin just fine. Midbass may not, though. Opening the little hole isn't going to help that very much.

In my experience, you have 2 options: 1. build some kind of a bandpass box and fire the port through the hole. 2. Build a vented box, put it in the trunk and get midbass in the cabin by installing some midbass drivers. depending on how loud your car has to play, 6" speakers may be sufficient.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts