DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some hertz Mille legends ml280.3 and ml700.3 tweeters and midrange, but I’m trying to see if I got burned. I need the sharp eye of some car audio gurus to give me a hand.

Attachments

· Premium Member
799 Posts
They look OK to me. Obviously a male spade is broken. I ran that same tweeter/mid combo, and i'm not seeing any red flags based on your pics

· Premium Member
799 Posts
I just saw that! It’s not broken though it was the angle of the photo. Thanks for the keen eye!
My eye wasn't that keen; in the original pic you can see the spade isn't broken by the shadow of it haha.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you confirm they're counterfeit
I went to a local hertz dealer and compared. Finish is different, fabric of tweeter is different and hertz verified that the serial number was invalid. I’m stuck though because I purchased them last summer. Figured I had received legit components from this seller before that he would be trustworthy but apparently not. So beware of audio for fun on eBay.

· Premium Member
3,520 Posts
They look legit, I have called Audison/Hertz/Electromedia before to verify serial numbers. Depending on the person I speak to, the answers can be different, sadly not reliable. Audison/Hertz have switched small cosmetic variables on models during production in the past. It could be that simple.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They look legit, I have called Audison/Hertz/Electromedia before to verify serial numbers. Depending on the person I speak to, the answers can be different, sadly not reliable. Audison/Hertz have switched small cosmetic variables on models during production in the past. It could be that simple.
I think the giveaway is the serial numbers on box don’t match the tweeters. The box serial numbers are legit but unfortunately the tweeters aren’t. I spotted that when I first received them but being that he was a trusted seller I believed his story. I tried to follow up with hertz at the time but didn’t get in contact with anyone so I just let it go. I should have known better than to pay $300 for $600 tweeters. Now that I’m building my a pillars. The issue has came back to haunt me. And they very well could be legit. Maybe I will post them on the classifieds and someone who is willing to buy them could have a set of milles for cheap.

· Premium Member
3,520 Posts
I think the giveaway is the serial numbers on box don’t match the tweeters. The box serial numbers are legit but unfortunately the tweeters aren’t. I spotted that when I first received them but being that he was a trusted seller I believed his story. I tried to follow up with hertz at the time but didn’t get in contact with anyone so I just let it go. I should have known better than to pay $300 for $600 tweeters. Now that I’m building my a pillars. The issue has came back to haunt me. And they very well could be legit. Maybe I will post them on the classifieds and someone who is willing to buy them could have a set of milles for cheap.
I would try to scan the QR code on the back of the speaker to see if it actually works. I doubt a counterfeit manufacturer would go to that length.

· Premium Member
3,520 Posts
That’s the first thing I did. It came back as invalid. Then I entered it by hand. Only thing I can think of is hertz messed it up somehow but they would have had to mess up both serial numbers.
At that point, I would then change my mind and agree it is more likely than not to be a fake. Hopefully, karma will come back to that ebay seller.

· Registered
1,095 Posts
Well based on price it should not be any red flags, even here in (expensive) Norway a pair of these retail for about $280, and that's including 25% sales tax. Same for the other european countries, these have a retail price of about $300 or so for a pair.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At that point, I would then change my mind and agree it is more likely than not to be a fake. Hopefully, karma will come back to that ebay seller.
I know right. Hopefully other buyers see this thread and decide not to give him business.
Well based on price it should not be any red flags, even here in (expensive) Norway a pair of these retail for about $280, and that's including 25% sales tax. Same for the other european countries, these have a retail price of about $300 or so for a pair.
How is it so cheap over there! American prices are straight rip offs!

· Registered
1,095 Posts
European goods are cheaper in Europe, just as US goods are cheaper in the US.

It's the same for us if we choose to buy US made brands. For instance, a Rockford Fosgate T2500 monoblock, costs the same as a Brax GX-2400 does over here. And a Ford Mustang Mach 1 costs over $140k... as opposed to $55k in the US.

· Registered
5 Posts
Not sure if this thread is still alive. Ever find out if your Hertz’s were legit? I sadly just purchased a pair of 3-way separate Hertz Mille’s from audio for fun’s eBay site for a great price but wish I’d seen this first. With 1000’s of positive feedback and zero negative, they seemed legit. Will try to verify and return if they seem fishy.

· Registered
2017 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
2,335 Posts
Not sure if this thread is still alive. Ever find out if your Hertz’s were legit? I sadly just purchased a pair of 3-way separate Hertz Mille’s from audio for fun’s eBay site for a great price but wish I’d seen this first. With 1000’s of positive feedback and zero negative, they seemed legit. Will try to verify and return if they seem fishy.
Multiple people have bought from Audio for Fun, myself included. I received an authentic item/shipped quickly and packaged well. The issue is by trying to save a buck you have zero warranty or support on anything that you purchase.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts