DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to move my 2 amps which is currently under the driver/passenger seat to the trunk. I going to run 1/0 AWG to a power distribution block. From the power distribution block output(2) run 4 AWG power wire to my 2 amps.
Now the question is grounding. Can I use another power distribution block and run 4 AWG from each of the amp to the block and from the block run 1/0 AWG to ground? Or should I ground each of the amp seperately using 4 AWG wire?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I used a block for 4 amps. Down to 3 now but still using the same block.
Nobody ever said I couldn't and it's been like that for 4 years now.
Mine is a 0/1 gauge wire through a grommet in the cab floor then bolted to the frame and covered in rubberized undercoating.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have done installs both ways....with and without a block for ground.

I think using a block is a bit cleaner though. If you go without a block, I might suggest grounding them in the same place if possible.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I've always understood the ground should come from the same point, until I read a document on Zed's website about grounding each amp seperately in different locations.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I've always understood the ground should come from the same point, until I read a document on Zed's website about grounding each amp seperately in different locations.
Link to that document?

Seems like you would want them grounded in the same spot through a dist. block so as to avoid ground potential differences. I have two amps running through a dist block for power and ground, and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You typically want to ground at the same point, that way there is no chance for different voltage potentials. As for using a distro block vs straight to chassis, I don't think it's going to make a difference. I use a distro block for ease of use, plus in the future if you change configurations it's easy to change out wiring.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the respond. I'll just run 4awg wire from each of the amps to the power distribution block and 1/0 awg from the block to the grounding point.

Another question, the power wire run from the power distribution block to the amp, do you guys use a fuse? Or a fuse is not necessary in this case?

·
Registered
116 Posts
There's a fuse on the battery side of your power wire though right? Add the fuses on your amps together, the single fuse by your battery should be this size. Couldn't hurt to have a single smaller fuse that matches each individual amp after the distro block.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Link to that document?

Seems like you would want them grounded in the same spot through a dist. block so as to avoid ground potential differences. I have two amps running through a dist block for power and ground, and have never had any problems.
http://www.zedaudiocorp.com/Technical/ZedManual-GREYSCALE.pdf

Top of page 4.

I've always used a distro too, this is why after reading this I'm confused on which way would be better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use a Streetwires CBR44M in my set-up. It does power and ground off the same block!!! Saved me a lot of trouble during install. You should look into that distro block.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There's a fuse on the battery side of your power wire though right? Add the fuses on your amps together, the single fuse by your battery should be this size. Couldn't hurt to have a single smaller fuse that matches each individual amp after the distro block.
The power wire battery fuse should not be higher than the amount of current that it can safely handle for its gauge. Ideally the wires from the distro block would be fused as well, since they are generally smaller and cannot take the amount of amperage that the main power wire can.

FUSES

·
Registered
819 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anytime you have a size reduction in wire it is a good idea to fuse. That streewires fused distro block posted earlier works well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I do have a fuse next to the battery.
Since I got 2 extra fuses for my 2 amps, I probably use it for my 2 amps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
People make the mistake that fuses in the distro block is used to protect the amp, but it's actually there to protect the wires. The fuses should match the gauge wire you are using, and not the fuses on the amp.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm still learning, but form what I've read so far, you want to ground to one location to avoid ground loops i thought?:confused:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been a believer in single point grounding for many years. Not only in car audio but also PA, adressable fire alarm systems, PLCs, and many other low voltage or current sensing circuits. As the number of components in a system grows, so does the chance for multiple parallel grounding paths to create noise. I like having the head unit, relays, processor, and amplifiers all mounted on non conductive surfaces. All this along with an isolation switch on the antenna wire, do make an audible difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have done installs both ways....with and without a block for ground.

I think using a block is a bit cleaner though. If you go without a block, I might suggest grounding them in the same place if possible.
Is there a special distribution block for power and a special one for ground??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts