DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all - I've been searching the forums a bit, but can't seem to find any clear guidance on this.

I picked up an used Alpine HU at a garage sale (don't know have the model info at the moment). I am looking to use it in my garage (in a non-portable manner) so that I don't have to use my iphone specifically. I'm looking for guidance on a power supply for it. I've got a whole box of different DC power supplies sitting around, but not exactly sure what I should use (I've literally got power supplies rated from 1v/100ma up to 14.5v/5a).

Any thoughts or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
~Whip

·
Registered
508 Posts
if you are just powering the deck, anything in the 12-14V and over 2A will suffice just fine.

We've used old 12V laptop chargers before in 'workbench radio' applications with no problems.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
if you are just powering the deck, anything in the 12-14V and over 2A will suffice just fine.

We've used old 12V laptop chargers before in 'workbench radio' applications with no problems.
12v/2a would be fine to test, but if you are planning a garage system, you'll need more of a PS or you'll be pushing things.. most HU's are fused @10A not that they'll use it, it'd just be good to be closer to that...

Computer PS have 12v taps.. hint hint.. bet you got one of those lying around..

·
Registered
75 Posts
that 14.5v 5a sounds just about perfect. run it with a cap, and even a choke(if you really want to get into it) and it will clean up the power a bit, plus it can stand a little more add-ons, like cig. lighter tap for transmitter, etc. up at work, we just use an old roll-around charger set on 2, or 6a(i like to flip it to 6 to crank it) and a lighter rec.; mounted to the bench to run all different mp3 players and transmotters to the cheap azz deck....... soon, i'm going to just bring up the $2 broken home reciever, once fixed and modified, to replace all that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts