DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing to do an install into a 2000 Ford Excursion, and I am debating whether to run power through the firewall or underneath the vehicle and up. There will be two amps, as well as dedicated wiring for an inverter. It would seem that a sturdy loom and protected mounting along the frame rails would be quite simple.

Back in the 80's I did some nice installs (my own vehicles), and then bought a small RV and paid for an install in the 90's. I was a bit surprised when wiring was run under the vehicle, but it was quite tidy and well protected.

Please share your thoughts about this, as I really need some input.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am preparing to do an install into a 2000 Ford Excursion, and I am debating whether to run power through the firewall or underneath the vehicle and up. There will be two amps, as well as dedicated wiring for an inverter. It would seem that a sturdy loom and protected mounting along the frame rails would be quite simple.

Back in the 80's I did some nice installs (my own vehicles), and then bought a small RV and paid for an install in the 90's. I was a bit surprised when wiring was run under the vehicle, but it was quite tidy and well protected.

Please share your thoughts about this, as I really need some input.
If your vehicle is anything like the F-350 I did an install on years back, you'll have plenty of room for wiring under the door sill cover plates. It will take you very little time to pull them off and investigate- running your wires inside is preferable to running them under the vehicle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I prefer through the cabin. Less likelihood of damage.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I ran mine under my F150 through a conduit that was secured with heavy duty zip ties. The conduit is Carlon careflex and you can buy the pipe ends(?) as pictured, to enter the cabin with. This worked just fine for me the 2 years I owned my truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your vehicle is anything like the F-350 I did an install on years back, you'll have plenty of room for wiring under the door sill cover plates. It will take you very little time to pull them off and investigate- running your wires inside is preferable to running them under the vehicle.
I have already removed all of the interior, put CLD tiles/foam/mlv down, so it isn't an issue of access. I have an EGT probe coming through the firewall where there would be a clutch mount which seems to be the most frequently used approach. It seems easier to go underneath, that's all.

Thanks for the input. Any other thoughts on the install would be appreciated, as it seems that there are two of us doing Excursions now. THREAD

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ran underneath in my wife's Yukon probably 8 years ago and have not had any issues to date. It is quality 4 GA zip tied to the passenger side frame rail and then run up under the rear seat through the floor with a grommet.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I've had mine under the chassis for over a year in grey conduit, no issues.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I ran my 1/0 wire under on my F150 like BlackF150 using conduit. Ran mine thru a box part of the frame so it's protected from anything snagging it.
It's been fine for three years now. Even though The whole interior out for deadening, or was easier to run it under.
Good luck either way you go.

George.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts