DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone,
I recently had an issue with the JL HD900/5 that has been powering my front stage for the last couple years, and so now it is off for repair and its finally time to lose the 5th channel (I have been running the subs off of a different amp for a year or so now). I'd like to switch to a class A, and would like no less than 150x4 watts at 4 ohms. Budget is $1100 give or take, so far i've considered the zapco z150.4lx and gladen's xl250c4. If possible, I'd like to hear from members who have experience with the gladen, because it seems like a solid deal for the amount of power it puts out. I'm mostly concerned with reliability of the amp, and I'm not a huge believer in high ends amps sounding significantly different from one another. If it's relevant, the front speakers are HAT L6se mids and Scanspeak D2904 tweets, run active crossed at 2.5-3.2k. I like headroom!

I'd also like to avoid amps that can't have their input sensitivity lowered to 8 volts, because the head unit puts out 5 volts.

Size of the amp is not an issue, it's going in my trunk. Heat may be an issue in the Texas summer, but i strongly doubt i'll ever run more than half power for more than a few minutes at a time.

I'm open to recommendations, but would prefer to hear about the Gladen's reliability if possible.

Thanks much everyone!

·
Registered
19,900 Posts
you mean class AB? i dont think a 150x4 class A amp exists.

·
Registered
832 Posts
How about two pheinix gold elite.2's? I have a used one (in A+ condition and there is a new one for sale on this forum, should be less then your budget and give you even more headroom :)

I elite.4 would also do the trick, the one I had was rated just over 200w rms X 4

Zero experience in the products you asked about :)

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
the zapco is a solid performer, nothing special but nothing bad either. the gladden caught my eye too but I know no one running them to be able to tell you its good or not.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Surprisingly my New Hertz Amps I have for sale are A/B. You would need 2 and run them in 2 Channel mode.

Brand New Sealed in box. $380 Shipped for pair.

Channel mode 4 - 3 - 2 Output Power (RMS)
@ 14.4 VDC 4 Ch: 65 W x 4 (4 Ω)
4 Ch: 95 W x 4 (2 Ω)
3 Ch: 65 W x 2 (4 Ω) + 190 W x 1 (4 Ω)
3 Ch: 95 W x 2 (2 Ω) + 190 W x 1 (4 Ω)
2 Ch: 190 W x 2 (4 Ω) Filters
Bypass
Hi-Pass
Lo-Pass
Band-Pass

Yes
A/B: 80 Hz @ 12 dB/Oct.
A/B: 50 ÷ 500 Hz @ 12 dB/Oct.
-

Distortion - THD
(100Hz @ 4Ω) 0.01% S/N Ratio
(A weighted @ 1V) 103 dB Damping factor
(100Hz @ 4Ω) 120 Size W x D x H
mm (in.) 315 x 190 x 50 (12.40 x 7.48 x 1.97) -

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd prefer to keep it to one 4 channel amp if possible, just for installation ease. I like the idea of the pg elites, but iirc the pg elite 4 channel is a good bit over my budget

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Do you have a dsp or do you need crossovers on the amp? If not I'd vote for the Zapco LX/LE. Theres only a gain stage using high quality opamps and output stage uses the same Sanken transistors as in the PG Elite series.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts