DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an old Phoenix Gold ZPA 0.3 that's been sitting for a good 10 years. Is there anything I should do before powering this up? I don't want to cook it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Generally if there's anything bad about an old amp you need to fix it whether you power it up or not. Hook up your power and ground and watch for smoke. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The smoke is what's making me nervous lol. I hooked up and old picasso and got a smoke show.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I just picked up an old Phoenix Gold ZPA 0.3 that's been sitting for a good 10 years. Is there anything I should do before powering this up? I don't want to cook it.
the main filter caps are about the only thing that would be bad after that much time. but until you power it, no way to tell. you could replace them just for giggles.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I would check to make sure not a lot dust has built up on the board. Also if there is anyway you could put it some where very warm and dry for a few hours to get rid of any possible mositure on the board may be helpful. Many times I have seen electronic devices that were working fine before a long storage fail first time out because of these two things.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Board was super clean and no caps were leaking. Put some power to it and everything ended up working.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
good deal. :D

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
What you can do is power the amp up on a 10A fuse, or 10A power supply, or through a car headlight bulb/etc. So if it was shorted out you limit current and is possible you don't fry stuff or as badly. Note larger amps can pop a 10A initially while filling the caps, most amps only use a few amps running after the initial surge. If it has not been powered in a long time the caps will be empty and take more, I've gone through 4 fuses to get caps filled lol, now I use a 10A PS that just kicks out repeatedly. Most amps under 500rms the 10A fuse works fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts