DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to be sending my mono amp out for repairs so for time being id like to put in my A600.2 bridged for sub duty...my sub is a jl 13tw5 and it is a 3ohm woofer. Will my amp bridged be able to run at that impedence? Or will going under 4 ohms bridges hurt the amp?

·
Registered
274 Posts
That amp should be *fine at 3 ohm mono but I would pay close attention to how hot it will get and run it somewhat conservatively.

*fine=
You can run your car wide open for so long.....some cars were designed to be run at full throttle and are equipped to do so....others will blow apart after running wide open for a short amount of time.

The 'a' series of PPI amps were very good.....but....still running it at WOT in 3 ohm M. Eventually it will fail.

~JH

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
depends, with box rise and maybe the res from a terminal you might be ok.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
This is a good point.
However, I was told by my repair tech that there's an internal circuit that will lower output if the amp is ran below it's operating range which in this case, anything below 4ohms bridged.
It's just the way it's designed.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
510 Posts
I ran a JL 15W6, coils parallel for 3ohms, on a bridged A600.2 for over a year. No problems.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
I ran a JL 15W6, coils parallel for 3ohms, on a bridged A600.2 for over a year. No problems.
Well there you go.
That sounds like a good real world example.

I would just suggest not pushing it based on what I was told.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the input, on a side note will my eclipse deck and its 8 volt preouts cause any harm to the amp I believe it says 5 volts max on the amp last time I looked it up, what would the conciquinces be?

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Thanks guys for the input, on a side note will my eclipse deck and its 8 volt preouts cause any harm to the amp I believe it says 5 volts max on the amp last time I looked it up, what would the conciquinces be?
The answer is it can harm the amp.
I am sure someone will post that they've been doing it for years with no problem but it is over juiced.
8 volts makes the input go full on really quickly and past full on continuously and that's just not good.
Do a search about it on DIYMA for a circuit somebody made or can make to correct the overage.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
510 Posts
8v out on the deck is balls to the wall output.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts