DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me say that I have never purchased or installed any sound deadening product before.
When I competed before back in the '80s-'90s, there was no such product.

Now fastforward to today.
After two years of being a DIYMA knowledge spongue, I learned of the benefits and proper usage of SD to complete a car audio system.
Everyone has their own opinions as to the approach.
The spectrum ranges from high end specialized products to Home Depot cheap substitutes.
The main driving point for me that was crystal clear was that after removing over 1000 lbs of interior including two separate headliners, I only want to do this once, so choosing the right product is critical.
With this in mind, I chose to go with Alpha Damp.
Alpha Damp had all the features I was looking for including the industry's thickest aluminum backing so after placing an order, in just a few days three boxes of Alpha Damp arrived and my long time coming installation begun.
Up to this thread posting, I have installed 40 sheets (tiles) and can now say it is an awesome product meeting and exceeding my expectations.
I found it easier than expected to work with using only the following three tools:

1-A sturdy urethane roller
2-Metal shears
3-Bottle of Windex/towel

The Windex and a cotton cloth towel are mandatory for a good clean surface.
The shears made cutting through the aluminum a breeze.
The urethane roller makes shaping the cld tile over uneven surfaces or ridges in the panel so much easier to manipulate.

In conclusion, I can't say enough about this product.
I have plans to do installs in my 07 Honda Fit and 02 Honda Odyssey and you can bet that I will be using Alpha Damp. :thumbsup:

In the following pictures and videos, I will demonstrate my experience installing the tiles and the results.
Please feel free to pm me with any questions you might have otherwiase, go to More sound deadening with less deadener for more information on Alpha Damp.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

My starting point.

All my interior components removed.
Now you see why I only want to do this once.

First area to begin with.

First Alpha Damp tile installed.

Close up of first tile.

Roller used to perform the install.

More to come.........

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's some more pics of my Alpha Damp installation.
Once again I am very pleased with the way this product goes down but I'll let the pictures speak on Alpha Damp's behalf.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

40 sheets now installed.

Another angle at the rear.

Front area all tiled up.

Transmission hump covered.

A great picture of just how well Alpha Damp lays down and adheres to the floor.

Close up of the same tile.
Just look at that crisp line around the panel ridges and the edges of the Alpha Damp foil.

The only scrap pieces left after 40 sheets.

Look for my upcoming installation videos next........

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The main driving point for me that was crystal clear was that after removing over 1000 lbs of interior including two separate headliners, I only want to do this once, so choosing the right product is critical.
With this in mind, I chose to go with Alpha Damp.
Good luck on that front.

It appears my post about the stuff was removed (posted on or around March 19th). The post showed the failure of SPL tiles (same product, different name) in my doors in less than 5 months.

I have the pictures posted on other forums (as it appears they wont be staying here...) so if you want pics of them failing and peeling off, let me know.

I never had any issues with Damplifier/damp pro, or with the SDS tiles. But I would never buy these SPL tiles or the current incarnation of the same thing again.

Hell, I could be talked into giving them away. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Good luck on that front.

It appears my post about the stuff was removed (posted on or around March 19th). The post showed the failure of SPL tiles (same product, different name) in my doors in less than 5 months.

I have the pictures posted on other forums (as it appears they wont be staying here...) so if you want pics of them failing and peeling off, let me know.

I never had any issues with Damplifier/damp pro, or with the SDS tiles. But I would never buy these SPL tiles or the current incarnation of the same thing again.

Hell, I could be talked into giving them away. :rolleyes:

^You gonna get banned. Lolz.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the two videos I have made so far during my Alpha Damp installation.

The first video is my experience installing the very first tile and focuses on how easily Alpha Damp installs and conforms to the panel. I wanted to have us both experience the tile install together so you could see any difficulties I experience during the process. In advance, I apologize for the glare off my right shoulder but I couldn't redo the video since you only get one shot at a first time experience.

The second video focuses on how well Alpha Damp deadens the panels once it was all installed on the floor.
Once again, I am truly impressed with it's ability to turn a tin can into a subdued and dampened panel. Like I said before, Alpha Damp exceeded my expectations and this video drives that point home.

I will be following up these two videos with more later highlighting installation and outcome in the ceiling panels and the final results of a quieter cab after the complete sound system install.

Finally, I hope all this has been helpful for you in making a decision regarding CLD products and why I think Alpha Damp is the simple "no brainer" choice.
You can contact more sound deadenin with less deadener to place an order or for any questions you might have, or you can pm me as well.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

Alpha Damp Install & Product Review 97 Suburban Part #1 - YouTube

Alpha Damp Install & Product Review 97 Suburban Part #2 - YouTube

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
OP
Thanks for the review!

(same product, different name)
Incorrect. AlphaDamp shares the same foil as the old SPL tiles but uses a much different adhesive. Alphadamp is produced on different extruders, by a different manufacturer with different release liner.
The SPL Tiles had a half of a batch produced which turned out to have adhsive issues. Eveyone that contacted us recieved new A stock product to replace the bad material.

The two products are different in every aspect but the ultra thick foil.

ANT

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nice install! I'm thinking about ordering some to compare it to another respected product as they look similar.

Looking at the pics Bret, Try getting a regular dowl, broom handle...something with a slightly rounded edge, but still sharp enough to push into the edges. I noticed there was some gaps when you you were laying the "1st sheet" pics. The air gap will eventually allow for moisture and other liquids to get in between and work the material loose over time. I've had issues at times with the rollers used to press the material in place didn't quite push into those 90 deg transitions on the floor and other areas.

Next! MLV!!!! That's a HUGE game changer in sound rejection.

I'm also cracking up over the rooster in the video!

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice install! I'm thinking about ordering some to compare it to another respected product as they look similar.

Looking at the pics Bret, Try getting a regular dowl, broom handle...something with a slightly rounded edge, but still sharp enough to push into the edges. I noticed there was some gaps when you you were laying the "1st sheet" pics. The air gap will eventually allow for moisture and other liquids to get in between and work the material loose over time. I've had issues at times with the rollers used to press the material in place didn't quite push into those 90 deg transitions on the floor and other areas.

Next! MLV!!!! That's a HUGE game changer in sound rejection.

I'm also cracking up over the rooster in the video!
I went back over it and made sure the gaps were gone just like the rest of the cld tiles.
Thanks again for the pm info regarding the thinsulate and mlv.
I will post how that all goes.

As for the frickin' rooster, he's always somewhere close by when I'm working on a car.
He sometimes joins me when I'm changing the oil just to see what I'm doing.
We also have to keep the car doors shut or they'll jump inside looking for anything to eat.

Life on the farm............

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
167 Posts
I went back over it and made sure the gaps were gone just like the rest of the cld tiles.
Thanks again for the pm info regarding the thinsulate and mlv.
I will post how that all goes.

As for the frickin' rooster, he's always somewhere close by when I'm working on a car.
He sometimes joins me when I'm changing the oil just to see what I'm doing.
We also have to keep the car doors shut or they'll jump inside looking for anything to eat.

Life on the farm............

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
Your welcome man. Didn't want to clutter this thread up.

LOL. Animals can be fun though!

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just finished installing 20 sheets of Alpha Damp in the Suburban's ceiling.
I'm just one tile short on finishing the ceiling as you'll see in the pics.

I have a new found respect for those of you that do this for a living.
Rolling cld tiles on the floor is one thing, but rolling them down in the ceiling is quite another.

The results from the tapping test were nothing short of amazing considering the roof line is over 15' long and the sheet metal is thinner than the floor.
I will post the demonstration video once it finishes uploading to youtube.

Next stage will be installing Alpha Damp in all six doors and the two inner quarter panels and then it's onto MLV installation. :D

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree doing this once is all youll ever wanna do it especially when you take the dash and column,pedal assemblies, wiring harnesses out!
Im sure everything you did was effective.. but the install of the sound deadening leaves alot to be desired, its missing half of it or half wasnt done. Maybe its just me. But when I did it, I didnt have not 1 surface of stock metal showing,save for the clip areas, no gaps in the deadening because theres a channel, no holes anywhere, to help seal the cab. COMPLETE layers. I went all out and used 200sqft+ in a dodge avenger, dash out and inner wheel wells, you name it I did it, everything! Multiple layers everywhere,It looked like the whole inside had a inner shell of aluminum when I was done. 5 layers all together just inside the doors alone, 2 and 3 layers everywhere else. I have heard the difference in doing it the way as described in these pic's and the way I described. I do agree this install probly benefited big time from this sound deadening, not knocking it, its just theres more left on the table...I used 80mil fat mat that came in 50sqft rolls. this was about 5 yrs ago. that stuff never peeled or came off, nor smelled..I live in FL and it held up good. Not 1 rattle on my car, doors & trunk shut with a thud sound. I couldnt believe the difference it was night and day riding down the road!

Props for doing it cause 90% it seems dont sound deaden!

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree doing this once is all youll ever wanna do it especially when you take the dash and column,pedal assemblies, wiring harnesses out!
Im sure everything you did was effective.. but the install of the sound deadening leaves alot to be desired, its missing half of it or half wasnt done. Maybe its just me. But when I did it, I didnt have not 1 surface of stock metal showing,save for the clip areas, no gaps in the deadening because theres a channel, no holes anywhere, to help seal the cab. COMPLETE layers. I went all out and used 200sqft+ in a dodge avenger, dash out and inner wheel wells, you name it I did it, everything! Multiple layers everywhere,It looked like the whole inside had a inner shell of aluminum when I was done. 5 layers all together just inside the doors alone, 2 and 3 layers everywhere else. I have heard the difference in doing it the way as described in these pic's and the way I described. I do agree this install probly benefited big time from this sound deadening, not knocking it, its just theres more left on the table...I used 80mil fat mat that came in 50sqft rolls. this was about 5 yrs ago. that stuff never peeled or came off, nor smelled..I live in FL and it held up good. Not 1 rattle on my car, doors & trunk shut with a thud sound. I couldnt believe the difference it was night and day riding down the road!

Props for doing it cause 90% it seems dont sound deaden!
With Alpha Damp you don't have to "space wrap" the whole car anymore.
My install is as the instructions on the website say to do it.
The next layer going in will be Luxury Liner Pro and that will completely cover everything.

You might check out the website for yourself.

Alpha Damp | More Deadening, Less Deadener

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The Alpha Damp install is finally done!
All six doors, b and c pillars, and both rear quarter panels are finally completed.
The right rear quarter panel was a real bitch due to the factory rear hvac system resides there but once I got it out of the way, I was able to hit that panel as well.
I went through 4 1/2 boxes (45 sheets) to complete the entire vehicle.
Here's some pics but take a moment and watch the youtube video.
The door skins compared to the outer rear quarter panel skins demonstrates just how good Alpha Damp is at deadening.
All in all I can honestly say it's a fantastic product that surpassed my expectations.
Anthony should be really proud of is creation because it's really really good.
I highly recommend it and will use it on my other future builds.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

Left rear quarter panel and wheel well

Right rear quarter panel and wheel well

Rear barn door

Left front door and b pillar

Roofline edge and c pillar

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right front door