DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Um i think i might have got something on my amps... think it will buff out?:p

something that works awesome to remove anything non metallic is Napa Carb Cleaner. It comes in 1 and 5 gallon dip cans. the meanest stripper ever made and sold to the public.

the 5 gallon can is 120.00 but you will spend zero time scrubbing/ cleaning

dip, soak, rinse..............

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ahh! Whats going on? I've always loved those amps. Sure hope the end result comes out!
lol complete destruction.... I'm painting them black man. I love the amps too but white doesn't work with my setup and no offense I've never really liked the front picture (although the vinyl decals a member posted on here that he put on black painted amps looked pretty sweet)

I wanted to get black amps in the first place but finding them was next to impossible (I've seen several come and go on ebay but never when funds permit). So im going to have 2 oem black amps and 2 painted amps. we'll see how it goes:D

now i just need to find a source for the damn plugs that wont rob me blind

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
I can't say I blame you because I never liked the white PPI Art series. Back in their heyday, my local dealer refused to special order black arts, so I dubbed him racist for having something against black amps. :p

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats some bs... were they more expensive black edition?

lol i wanted to try to make a joke about going from white to black but i figured i better keep my mouth shut otherwise someone might take it the wrong way

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
thats some bs... were they more expensive black edition?

lol i wanted to try to make a joke about going from white to black but i figured i better keep my mouth shut otherwise someone might take it the wrong way
"How would you like to go black, then have to make a difficult decision about going back?" /Cleveland voice

:p:D

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
anything would be an improvement over the "art"

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
The art series amps were a thing of beauty. Besides, isn't art in the eye of the beholder??????

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I was in autobody and we used aircraft stripper all the time, it is more powerful than auto stripper and well you know stripper never seems to be strong enough. What we did is thin it with laquer thinner and spray it out of a undercoating gun it worked great, of course we did whole parts of cars. Another even more nasty stripper is gun cleaner, as in paint gun cleaner. You don't want to get that stuff on your hands and some of it really stinks, but the paint just falls off. It is liquid for dipping not gel like stripper. I never got into PPI, I don't like the special plugs and the sucky transistor clamping system used but mostly I never saw them around back in the day.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya the arts sound good as hell. and the black ones look awesome. but in regards to green... ill keep any "art" in the house car is no place for that

·
Registered
226 Posts
very nice. what did you end up using to strip them?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the first picture is with the aircraft stripper, and a putty knife to get it off... then a como of drill and wire brush, both a big and small actual wire brush, orbital sander, sandpaper and pick tool

alot of the weird angles and dips were fun so i had to get creative

1 - 20 of 33 Posts